FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing software purchase

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian klassen
editing software purchase
on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:26:47 pm

I'd love to plunk down $1700 for Adobe's CS5.5 Production Premium suite but I just don't have the money (and it's all new software to me). I thought their subscription plan might be good, but from what I can tell there's zero financial benefit to the purchaser. I can spend $500. The Adobe route seems, in the long term, given the production suite's integration and seemingly all-encompassing features, the most useful and cost effective option for a PC guy with multimedia aspirations.

So, looking for a little advice. I'm thinking about going the Adobe consumer route to start with -- Elements 9 for Photoshop and Premiere. I assume that with these I can build basic skills toward the Pro line and save some money prior to jumping up to the suite. Would I be correct? Upsides? Downsides?

I've also thought about buying Lightroom and Elements Premiere. It seems like I could do plenty of editing in Lightroom while building an organizational foundation for the jump to Photoshop in the future; while adding a piece of software not included in the production suite. Any thoughts? Will Lightroom give me transferable Photoshop skills? Is Lightroom going to be around for awhile?

Or for under $500 I could get all three. Does that set me up well to learn and then expand?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: editing software purchase
on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:48:52 pm

Do you have anyone in the family who is a student or teacher? They have a great education discount program.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Elements Photoshop/Premier bundle for $100.

It's about the video and story line. You can use basic editing programs and still produce an incredible production. I know an editor who uses a program like Prem. Elements and puts out amazing video / films.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite