FORUMS: list search recent posts

5DMKII shutting off after 13 minutes of video

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
5DMKII shutting off after 13 minutes of video
on Jun 4, 2011 at 2:16:24 pm

My 5DMKII is set up on a tripod to shoot some training video's inside a home, in the kitchen, ambient temperature approx. 78 degrees.

Camera settings:
• Firmware 2.0.9 (latest)
• switch set to "on" (the first position)
• "M" Manual mode
• Fully charged battery
• Delkin UDMA 64 GB CF Pro card (numerous others for testing purposes)
• Manual focus
• Shutter 125
• F2.8
• 160 ISO

In camera settings under live view"
• "movie display" top & bottom
• silent shoot mode 1
• Metering timer 16 seconds
• AF mode - Live mode
• Record size 1920x1080 (24p)
• Sound recording auto

My first movie stopped at 12:08 minutes. The second movie stopped at 13:12 minutes. The 3rd movie exactly the same thing...stopped at 13:12. 4th @ 13:08, 5th @ 13"03. All on different cards all around the same time.

It just stops automatically. When I pick up the camera it feels a little warm but NOT hot. I thought maybe it was getting to warm or something. But this is inside an a/c home. I put 3 different cards in one right after another and didn't allow the camera to cool to see if it was over heating. But each card worked just fine and then stopped around the 13 minute mark or so. So It's not over heating.

So with all these different cards doing the same thing around the same time I've also ruled out it's the cards.

So that makes me believe the camera is shutting down because of a time limit or something. Maybe I have the wrong menu settings. This 5DMKII can record longer movies than 13 minutes can't they?

Have any of you experienced this or do you see something I'm doing wrong.

thx

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 21 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
Re: 5DMKII shutting off after 13 minutes of video
on Jun 4, 2011 at 3:11:33 pm

Well I just read in a small little note in the Canon manual that the camera will shut off automatically after 4GB or 29:99 minutes. So shooting 1920x1080 24p, that's 4GB.

Is there ANY WAY for a work around this limitation?

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 5, 2011 at 12:35:59 am

Well I've answered my own question. The 5DMKII is limited to 4GB continuos shoots. BUT...I found a product that will solve my problem where I have 2 cameras in tight locations and need to start & stop them remotely. Also it can be programmed to this automatically.

http://www.pclix.com/product-information/pclix-xt-with-5d-mkii-7d

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:21:48 am

It is the Windows Size limit, it will stop. Just restart, put in another card.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:20:13 am

Well that is normal , it will record 11min approx HD Video 1920 x 1080p and stop. You must restart for next set of clips.And then it will stop after another 11 minutes .

See your manual

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 6, 2011 at 7:25:38 am

well done , you have solved your own problem, nothing wrong with your computer, but, the H.264mov may cause editing problems , i said may , but, we use a PC.the Canon5D mark II has done over 2.5 years of work, stills and video, and no problems

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:47:01 pm

I wish they would change the format so we wouldn't have to start / stop the video so much. FAT 32 is what limits it to 4 gig.

If you're using a single camera for long recording events, you have to train yourself to start / stop the recording at a pause or a switch in action so you won't cut off something important.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 8, 2011 at 3:45:36 am

Your need to work around this issue is thanks to global economic trade policies - NOT technical issues in any way.

It's "baked in" to the camera design in order to avoid IMPORT/EXPORT DUTY - by keeping the camera classified as a STILL camera rather than as a video camera which is in a separate tariff class.

There's plenty of material on this subject on the web if you care to search it out.

FWIW

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Thomas Pohl
on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:57:05 am

You can try Magic lantern for longer Recording sessions. Just increase the q-scale - the disadvantage: poorer quality - espenes on who strong you use the Setting.

Cheers
Thomas.

http://www.footage-online.de - RED footage and more available in HD, SD and RED RAW R3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]