FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting and syncing with multiple 5DMKII's

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
Shooting and syncing with multiple 5DMKII's
on May 30, 2011 at 5:46:41 pm

I've never done multi-cam shooting before.

I want to use three 5DMKII's in a studio setting to record a whole series of "How to" tutorials. Each camera will have a different lens will be positioned in it's strategic place. This entire area is approx. 15' x 20' in size. I want to use a wireless mic on the talent which will be hooked up to the main front camera.

My question is:
How do I sync all three of these cameras with the audio? Each camera will have a 64gig UDMA card and I edit in FCP 7.0.3. I'm just kinda of having a hard time understanding how I bring in these clips from three cameras in the time line, and using different shots from different clips in editing and all the audio syncs correctly.

Do you use cables to hook them all up together and control them from one camera, start stop all three this way or what?

Hope I illustrated this senario properly.

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 21 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Shooting and syncing with multiple 5DMKII's
on May 31, 2011 at 10:10:40 am

Since those cameras don't use timecode and you can't sync them, it maybe would be best to use a clapperboard or something else which gives you a signal to use for manual syncing (maybe shoot a clock with all cameras then, without stopping them reposition them. Or clap your hands on camera, ...)

I'm not familiar with the multicam workflow of FCP, but there's a great plugin called Plural Eyes, that helps with syncing.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on May 31, 2011 at 10:26:24 am

Another idea: Start the cameras with a remote control. If the cams are set up in a way, the remote reaches them all at once, this could work. Haven't tested it, so no guarantee...

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on May 31, 2011 at 10:55:35 am

Well, I thought of that possibility but how could you hook all 3 cameras up to one remote? That's the problem.

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on May 31, 2011 at 1:27:37 pm

Wireless remotes, like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-RC-4-Wireless-Control-Digital/dp/B0019RGQVU/re...

As I said (or wrote): haven't tested it, but might work... Not shure though, if they support movie recording...

I got the T2i, which has a "movie mode" and remote controllers seem to work with it. The 5D MkII doesn't have a special mode for video, has it? Haven't been working for quite a time with the 5D...

Edit: I googled around a bit and it seems, there's now such thing as a (wireless) remote controller that triggers the record-button on the 5DMkII...

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 31, 2011 at 2:12:46 pm

Here's a blog on setting up the multicam edit with final cut 7.
http://www.geniusdv.com/news_and_tutorials/2009/10/creating_a_multiclip_in_...

You can do mulitcam editing with final cut as long as you are using the same camera, which you are. I'm not sure what issues you may have with the starting and stopping that is problematic with using DSLR's.

Like was mentioned, pluraleyes is what most people use to synch the audio, but I haven't used it, so I'm not sure how it handles multicam. You should do your research on their site.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on May 31, 2011 at 3:52:39 pm

OK, thanks guys. I'll research these comments and go from there.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 31, 2011 at 6:21:17 pm

As someone who's been doing 5d video for more than two years, and editing the results in FCP, I can tell you that you're likely to have BIG problems trying to do multi-cam editing with 5d footage.

The issue is the inherent size of the video stream produced by the camera.

If you try to shoot either native or even ProResLT, more than two data streams will choke most standard Mac towers unless you have something VERY hot-rodded.

Each 5d stream in ProRes LT is fixed at 100 mbps. So the math is easy. You'll need 200, 300, or 400 Mbps throughput if you want to do 2-cam, 3-cam, or 4-cam editing - plus substantial overhead room if you don't want major slugishness every time you try to work with your timeline.

You need to research and consider PROXY editing — where you make much lower rez versions of your original shots and use those for editing, only replacing the proxys with your actual footage once you've made all your decisions.

Multi-cam editing of DSLR footage is still reasonably rarified air right now, tho the tools are getting better and better.

Good luck.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:58:44 am

Thanks Bill for the info. I do have a "hotrod" system with a 4TB RAID that delivers about 590MBPS. It can actually handle about 8 streams with no problem.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]