FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow ProRes Proxy off/online advice please

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Currey
Workflow ProRes Proxy off/online advice please
on May 27, 2011 at 4:07:57 pm

Hi All,

I'm about to start work on a BIG project with many, many hours of beautiful footage shot on the Canon 5d II. I've not got the material with me at the moment and as I've never used this stuff before I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the workflow so I can hit the ground running.

So far everything has been safely archived, but is as yet otherwise untouched. I'm planning to Log and Transfer it all through Final Cut to ProRes and start work.

Now, I've done extensive net searches about this and the consensus seems to be that there's not much point in editing and finishing using anything more than ProRes because the original footage is H.264. That is unless in the end it may need extensive colour correction etc prior to a print for theatrical release.

Well… although this project is very much a small independent film, there is potential that this may happen. This being the case, I was wondering if I should actually Log & Transfer to ProRes Proxy, then Conform up to HQ or even 4444 right at the end.

And if so, I'm a little unsure how you do the offline/online step from Proxy to HQ or 4444. There seem to be a lot of guides out there on how to log and transfer, but not this further step. I assume it's a sort of 'trick' with names in log and transfer, but not sure what.

Many thanks in advance,
Nick

Final Cut Studio 3
MAC OS X 10.6.7
MacPro4,1
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Nick Currey
Re: Workflow ProRes Proxy off/online advice please
on May 31, 2011 at 10:22:20 am

Hi,
Just raising this again as I'm quite up against it now and would really appreciate any thoughts!
Cheers,
Nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:36:57 pm

I have a tutorial for this here: http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Currey
on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:24:38 am

Hi Shane,

That is brilliant. I had seen your other tutorial on Tapeless Workflow but had overlooked this one. It really nails the offline/online thing perfectly which was the missing link. We are well into the project now and we've transcoded all to proxy and all seems to be well. I feel very reassured that the further step is not going to be a problem. Thank you!

By the way, most of our stuff was shot on the Canon EOS 5D II and that's all fine. We have some later pickup shots done on the Canon EOS 600D, and we can't seem to bring those in through L&T. We can transcode them through Mpeg Streamclip like most people do, but inevitably without all the benefits that L&T gives. Do you know how it's done or if it's even possible? My net searches on the subject have found zilch.
Thanks again.

Cheers,
Nick

Final Cut Studio 3
MAC OS X 10.6.7
MacPro4,1
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved