FORUMS: list search recent posts

7d on-board magnification for focus vs 3rd party loupe

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian klassen
7d on-board magnification for focus vs 3rd party loupe
on May 22, 2011 at 11:30:00 am

How would a 3rd party magnification loupe improve focus control with my 7d? Right now 90% of what I'm shooting is done from a tripod. I use the on-board magnification to focus. Anything handheld is generally edited to static shots, no movement; as I don't have a steadicam or shoulder rig. I only shoot handheld if the shot is impossible to get with a tripod setup. Do I need a loupe? I want to add to my kit and have limited funds, so want to prioritize.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: 7d on-board magnification for focus vs 3rd party loupe
on May 23, 2011 at 5:06:04 pm

Hoodman makes a great loop. They just redisigned it.

The loop comes in handy when you are outside in bright sunlight. There is no way you can see the lcd screen in the bright sunlight without covering it up.

I also use a 7" external monitor mounted on top of the camera to give me a bigger screen for critical focus.

If you have great eyes, you can use your screen, but if your off just a little on the focus, your shots are worthless.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: 7d on-board magnification for focus vs 3rd party loupe
on May 28, 2011 at 4:36:35 am

Hoodman was a joke for me. I ended up buying it, then buying a Zacuto, which is 1000x better. I don't use it that often, as the built in is pretty good, but yes, in bright sunlight the Zacuto is quite better. You have to see it to believe it. don't waste your money on the Hoodman, IMHO. I did. I now use it for my xf305, which it works quite well on in bright sunlight.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]