FORUMS: list search recent posts

60 fps workflow

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Fogarty
60 fps workflow
on May 19, 2011 at 2:41:31 am

I love shooting 24 fps, but I really like the flexibility that 60 fps offers with slow motion. I either conform the footage in cinema tools to 24 for a true slow motions, use twixtor, or both.
When I conform my footage then drop it into my 60 fps time line my nle doesn't seem to like that (fcp 7 and premiere cs5) and it causes annoying render time.

What is a good workflow for 60 and 24 fps? and I would like my final output to be 24 or 30 fps.

Thanks
-nick

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: 60 fps workflow
on May 27, 2011 at 3:56:07 am

"When I conform my footage then drop it into my 60 fps time line my nle doesn't seem to like that..."

That because you have conformed it to 24p (I assume this from reading your post) and now it needs to play on a 24p time line NOT a 60p time line.

FYI... be sure to conform to 23.98 and NOT 24 (Cinema Tools will allow either) True 24p is for film out and NOT for video work. The DSLR, even though it says 24, it really means 23.98.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Nick Fogarty
on May 27, 2011 at 12:32:37 pm

I have been conforming my footage to 23.98 and not 24 (not for any particular reason though, thanks for that info)

With my final output being 23.98 would it be better to work with a 60 fps timeline and mix my clips in there? Or a 23.98 timeline and mix my 60 fps footage and 23.98 footage into my project that way? Or should I work with my 60 fps footage in a 60 fps time line, then nest it into a 23.98 timeline so it can render correctly before outputting it?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 27, 2011 at 7:38:14 pm

"I have been conforming my footage to 23.98 and not 24..."

Excellent!

"With my final output being 23.98 would it be better to work with a 60 fps timeline and mix my clips in there?"

NO

"Or a 23.98 time line and mix my 60 fps footage and 23.98 footage into my project that way? Or should I work with my 60 fps footage in a 60 fps time line, then nest it into a 23.98 time line so it can render correctly before outputting it?"

Actually NONE of these. If 23.98 is your final output then 60P is NOT what you want to work with at all on the time line. If you shoot everything over-cranked in 60p for slow mo (remember to multiply your shutter speed accordingly) then conform EVERYTHING to 23.98, all will be good. Then, if you want any of these shots to be regular speed DO NOT go back to the original 60p clip but rather speed up the conformed 23.98 clip on the 23.98 time line by 250%. This will give you the best look rather than that very "video" look of 60p.

Hope this helps...

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Nick Fogarty
on May 28, 2011 at 4:34:53 am

Thanks for your input, i have been curious about this for awhile. this will help with speed ramping as well, if i run my footage at 250% then ramp it down to 100% it should look pretty nice.
I really do not like the ultra smooth 60 fps look at all, i just like the flexibility of the extra frames.
I have been shooting most things at 1/125 shutter speed, unless i plan to use twixtor, (i shoot with a faster shutter speed to reduce motion blur, or if my variable nd is out of reach and i need the shot.)
thank you for your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]