FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D / Sandisk 32Gb quicktime error

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philip knowlton
7D / Sandisk 32Gb quicktime error
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:08:53 pm

I shot quite a bit of footage last night using the Canon 7D (24mm lens) on a SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash 60MB/s 32GB card at 1080p/24fps. For the most part everything was fine. But when i went to the preview mode on the camera, it was showing an error message on a handful of clips.
When I downloaded the footage to my mac, those same clips won't open in quicktime (although the majority of the clips open fine) and show the error message:
The operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -32767)

are these clips lost? or is there a fix?
thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: 7D / Sandisk 32Gb quicktime error
on Apr 30, 2011 at 6:54:46 pm

Hi Philip,

Just saw this today; but two questions: could you see any content of the clip either on the 7D or on a card reader to the Mac? If so it's likely recoverable. You say you downloaded the footage (FCP L&T?, DCIM/Misc to hard drive?), so it saved correctly. Can you get info and see the size/data of the file? I'm guessing you're on QT10, any other players available to try (QT7,VLC)? My problem was an SDHC (also Sandisk 16G 30Mbs) card I could see, but not save. For that I used http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
(thank you Jonathan Ziegler!). I now always test my cards before a shoot, and Sandisk has warrantied the card, but like a hard drive: they can always be bad. Good luck, and sorry for the slow response...ML

Return to posts index

philip knowlton
on Apr 30, 2011 at 11:44:18 pm

Hi Michael,
thank you for your reply!
On the camera, I could see a thumbnail of the clip (though it was smaller, it didn't take up the whole LCD like normally), with the error message. On my mac, I can't see any of the content, not even a thumbnail (it just shows a QT icon, unlike the other clips that work fine.)
It does give me data on the size of the clip (over 1 GB) which leads me to believe that the info is there. I tried opening the clip in QT10 & QT7, VLC, Mpeg Streamclip, Cinema Tools, Final Cut, all of which game me error messages.
i appreciate any help at all. thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on May 1, 2011 at 12:08:01 am

Philip,

How weird. My experience was a simple read error (though the file transferred when the download ended, and auto-ejected the card, was just a QT logo- nothing played). Hopefully you quarantined the card and still have the files on it. If so I would run the PhotoRec software on it (prev. post) to see if it can rebuild something readable. It took about six hours to retrieve 14.7G, but worked so well for me, I donated for it (and I am POOR). Good luck...ML

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 1, 2011 at 7:06:27 pm

I don't work with the Canon, but that behave is typical on most video tape-less formats when you hit when you don't make enough pause between STOP and REC again. When you hit STOP, the camera needs few seconds to close the clip. If you hit REC again before the clip is closed, it gets corrupted.
This is a mayor source of corrupted media, although your issue may be different.
Anyway if you are unable to see the clip in FC or QT (you may try just to see what happens with VLC), take your clips for corrupted and have a look to this:
http://www.aeroquartet.com/
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]