FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p to 16:9 standard quality conversion

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Djohan
720p to 16:9 standard quality conversion
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:47:00 am

Hey guys,

Our company just bought two Canon EOS 7D, and quite amazed by the quality of the video but of course the 12 or 13 minutes video limit is quite a hassle.

Anyway we edit the video using FCP and I've downloaded the EOS plugin. One thing we noticed is how huge the file is after we log and transfer. Do you guys know any good way to downconvert the 720p video to a 16:9 SD without losing too much quality?

BTW I also have MPEG Streamclip installed on our video editing iMac. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS. I also don't like how EOS 7D could not record a 16:9 SD quality. I mean who still shot 640x480 4:3??

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: 720p to 16:9 standard quality conversion
on Apr 27, 2011 at 9:32:29 am

[Andy Djohan] "BTW I also have MPEG Streamclip installed on our video editing iMac"

With MPEG Streamclip you can batch transcode and resize your clips to SD, just be sure to uncheck anything that has to do with deinterlacing.

Works quite well, I use it a lot to create SD-Proxy clips.

HTH

Return to posts index

Andy Djohan
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:27:28 pm

Hey Peter,

I tried using MPEG Streamclip to downgrade the video from 720p to 720x480 in Apple ProRess 422 quality but somehow the video seems to be incorrect in aspect ratio and there are thin black bar on the left and right side of it. Am I missing something here on cropping?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Apr 28, 2011 at 7:18:34 am

Have you set the aspect ratio (16:9) right in the codec options?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:01:32 am

[Andy Djohan] " One thing we noticed is how huge the file is after we log and transfer. Do you guys know any good way to downconvert the 720p video to a 16:9 SD without losing too much quality?"

Do what you've been doing. The terms "High Image Quality" and "Small File Size" are mutually exclusive once you get past the 7D's crappy acquisition codec.... and you're past it.

Get used to the file sizes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Djohan
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:39:03 am

@Peter: I'll try to check the aspect ratio you're talking about.

@Dave: currently I’m importing it with the ProRes422, but wondering if file size might be a tad smaller if i encode it with ProRes422LT but still retain the sharpness quality.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 30, 2011 at 12:15:17 pm

Oh. Yes, ProRes LT will be good. Just don't do any effects work or render multiple generations with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]