FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon DSLR clean HDMI Out for Livestream?

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Kellam
Canon DSLR clean HDMI Out for Livestream?
on Oct 4, 2019 at 8:21:44 pm

I'm trying to use a Canon 800D/T7i to livestream video through the HDMI output.

I'm having difficulty because the DSLR does not easily output a clean feed through the HDMI. It generally overlays the meters over the HDMI video. We have been able to get most of the overlays off, but the focus brackets will not go away unless we turn off auto focus.

Is it possible to use autofocus without the brackets on the HDMI output video?

Do you have any other suggestions about how to get a clean HDMI out? I'm willing to consider a different DSLR or video camera, but I would like to have quality close to the DSLR.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Canon DSLR clean HDMI Out for Livestream?
on Oct 10, 2019 at 4:21:46 pm

You probably shouldn't be using autofocus anyway, unless, for some reason, the camera has no operator and the scene requires lots of focusing. AF hunting can ruin a shot in short order. Turn AF off, have your camera op focus manually, and the problem is solved!

Return to posts index

Michael Kellam
on Oct 14, 2019 at 8:13:07 pm

Hi Blaise,

I agree. In other operations, we generally only switch to autofocus briefly if we aren't certain if the focus is in or not and then switch back to manual. But in that moment, the autofocus brackets would be displayed on air. With the HDMI setup test, the HDMI steals the camera output so we cannot see the image on the DSLR screen.

I was disappointed that the stream did not look any better using the DSLR video captured via HDMI with an AJA card than it looked with the Logitech USB webcam we were previously using, so not sure what the future of this workflow is.

Thanks for replying,

Mike

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Oct 14, 2019 at 11:55:36 pm

Most DSLRs at the low end, like the T7i, don't really output 1080p video fromt heir HDMI port. In fact, Canon themselves have a list of DSLRs that have a true clean output, and the T7i is not on it.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART170224&actp=searc...

I think the reason you say it looks like a webcam is that you may only be getting 720p or even 480p--it's usually 480p.

What other cameras are available to you, if any?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]