FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good DI for Canon 70D MOV files?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Lotz
Good DI for Canon 70D MOV files?
on Aug 30, 2017 at 8:33:14 pm

Hi -

I just started shooting with a Canon 70D. It produces H.264 video inside a MOV container. I would prefer to record using the Inter-frame (IPB) mode to keep the recorded file sizes smaller.

With my Gopro video, I use GoPro Studio to convert files to Cineform, which is a great format for editing. Unfortunately, on my Windows box, GoPro Studio can't properly convert the 70D's MOV files. (no audio)

What's a good program that can convert the 70D files into Cineform, or other appropriate codec for editing(e.g.; DNxHD).

FYI, I use Vegas Movie Studio 14 as my editor.

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Good DI for Canon 70D MOV files?
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:14:34 pm

These days, is it really necessary to transcode h.264 media? You don't pull any more detail or color depth out of it, it takes up a lot of additional HD space, and almost any modern machine is more than capable of editing it without a hitch. The only exception to this is if you're using heavy time-remapping, at which point the Long-GOP codec can be problematic. But in 99% of cases, I never transcode anymore, and haven't since the days of FCP 7.

Sony's Catalyst Browse might do what you need, or just plain ol' MPEG Streamclip. Make sure you have the DNxHD codec installed, obviously, and Streamclip can transcode just about anything to anything.

But I'd try it without, first. No reason to over-complicate your workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]