FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D Mark IV Jello Wobble Effect without pans. Fixed shot.

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nuno Madeira Rodrigues
5D Mark IV Jello Wobble Effect without pans. Fixed shot.
on Jul 31, 2017 at 10:17:37 pm
Last Edited By Nuno Madeira Rodrigues on Jul 31, 2017 at 11:02:41 pm

I shot twice now in a park using a tripod and talking to the camera for my youtube channel. I noticed a jello or wobble occurring every now and then. There was a little bit of wind but I can't believe the wind would cause that issue. Could it? It was mild wind. It seems related to the rolling shutter and I want to know if my unit has a problem or is it simply the awful rolling shutter of the Mark IV acting up. I uploaded a small clip where this is noticeable.

The camera is on a manfrotto tripod with a 500AH video head. Using the 85mm f/1-8 from Canon.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: 5D Mark IV Jello Wobble Effect without pans. Fixed shot.
on Aug 1, 2017 at 1:32:16 am

So I noticed rolling shutter at the beginning of the clip. you say the camera was locked down. Odd. Not sure what happened there. Were you shooting in 4k? What settings? Shutter speed. Etc.

Al

Return to posts index

Nuno Madeira Rodrigues
on Aug 1, 2017 at 2:12:53 am

Yes, that is the odd thing. The camera was secure on a tripod. I've examined more footage and does coincide with the wind increasing a little. No wind, no rolling shutter.

I was shooting at around 5.6, 1/50, ISO 100, 24fps.

I've never experienced this but then again I've never used it out in the wind like this. I would have loved to have tried 1080 to see if the problem remained.

It's very upsetting to think that the camera can't handle a bit of wind because of the rolling shutter. I do wonder if it's faulty in some way.

Return to posts index

Nuno Madeira Rodrigues
on Aug 1, 2017 at 2:19:18 am

I forgot to respond about the 4K. Yes I was.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Aug 1, 2017 at 3:27:34 am

I wonder if your tripod moved in the wind, or whether it was bumped.

Al

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Aug 1, 2017 at 3:57:01 pm

Where you shooting with an IS (image stabilization) lens and the IS was turned on? Usually you turn it off on a tripod but if it is on and a little wind rattles, it might try to counteract the movement.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Nuno Madeira Rodrigues
on Aug 1, 2017 at 6:25:56 pm

No stabilisation whatsoever. I have over 30 minutes of footage from that shoot and it randomly happens when the wind increases. There are moments where it's a lot more noticeable than the clip I uploaded. It's definitely the rolling shutter reacting to the wind.

As I mentioned earlier, the camera was extremely secured on a Manfrotto tripod. I was talking to the camera the whole time and I never noticed it move but after extensive analysis the wind was definitely causing the issue.

This was the second attempt at that particular shot. The previous day I had gone there and shot with the nifty fifty, the footage was horrible because it was a lot windier. I thought that maybe the quality of the lens was causing it. I decided to use the 85mm f/1.8 with no IS. It's a better lens, not "L" series but a very decent 85mm. A lot better than the 100$ 50mm.

It's extremely frustrating to see a 3500$ camera have this sort of issue when mounted on an expensive tripod and a strong breeze. In this case it's just a youtube video I was making but I've lost trust to use the 5D in a professional scenario. Still photography aside of course.

My question remains though, could this be my camera that needs fixing or a general issue with the horrible rolling shutter it has when recording 4K?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]