FORUMS: list search recent posts

CROP MODE 680x480p, Magic lantern - bitrate Qscale and color subsampling settings Canon EOS REBEL 2Ti/550D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alva Nylander
CROP MODE 680x480p, Magic lantern - bitrate Qscale and color subsampling settings Canon EOS REBEL 2Ti/550D
on Jun 4, 2017 at 1:54:19 pm

There are some things i would like to grasp about the t2i camera before starting to film a certain project I'm working on. I'm filming a music video and i will need to shoot some things at a higher frame rate. I'm using PAL since I'm from europe so i will be filming at 50 fps.

QUESTION 1:
I'm thinking of using the 640x480p 50 fps crop mode for a certain shot (filmed with a focal length at 200mm), as i want there to be "mirage" and want the depth to be as compressed as possible. Is the cropped 640x480p worse in quality than the uncropped 640x480p?

If it's not, does this mean that it's the better alternative if i want to crop my video? If i crop the 1280x720p the same amount in after effects as is cropped in the camera automatically in the 640x480p crop mode, will it have a smaller resolution?

Also, should I film the rest in 1280x720p at 50 fps or in 640x480p at 50 fps? I'm having trouble understanding why the 640x480p is even an option (not the crop mode, i understand the crop mode's existance if im correct in my thinking i wrote about earlier). I want to use the 4:3 aspect ratio but am i right in thinking that it's better to film in 1280x720p at 50 fps and then crop it in aftereffects or premiere afterwards.

QUESTION 2:
This question is about color subsampling and bitrate. I want to optimize the quality of the videos i record. Am i correct in that the T2i records in 4:2:0? Is it possible to record 4:2:2 and if so how?

Is it possible with Magic Lantern? I know you can change the bitrate settings. I would obviously like my videos to have the best quality as possible. Will i have other issues if i increase the bitrate? Where should i be approximately? Should i have a specific memorycard or something, is there a maximum Mb/s Canon 550D can film?

Return to posts index

Alva Nylander
Re: CROP MODE 680x480p, Magic lantern - bitrate Qscale and color subsampling settings Canon EOS REBEL 2Ti/550D
on Jun 5, 2017 at 7:02:17 am

Update: I have gotten magic lantern and dont need an answer about the bitrate settings. The 550Ds maximum writespeed is 21 mb/s so i know it doesn't really matter what memorycard i use cause the memorycard i have is enough, and it worked fine at the highest bitrate setting/lowest Qscale, im not recording audio so that helps.

I will be using either the technicolor profile or c-log though, and i cant decide which is better help!

Also, is 160, 320, 640 1250 iso always better than 100, 200, 400, 800 respectively?

Question 1 and the color subsampling question still stands

is it worth paying attention to color subsampling? i still don't really get it, is it possible to film in 4:2:2 on a Canon 550D?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]