FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 70D - 64GB 2 Hour Recording... Gone!?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Cassidy
Canon 70D - 64GB 2 Hour Recording... Gone!?
on Feb 11, 2017 at 1:23:46 am

Hi Folks

I got a new 70d afew weeks ago, a new new battery grip, a 64gb SD card and a whole lot of videos to make.

Tonight I was a good 1 hour 50 into recording (I use ML) and I noticed that recording had stopped on my EOS Utility live viewer.... It seemed the memory had run out on the 64gb card. No biggie, I put in an old 16GB, finished the job and all is good.

When I came to transfer all of my files over to my mac, the 16gb transfers aboslutely fine, but with the 64gb, I'm getting the error message "The Disk you inserted was not readable by this computer - Options: Initialize (Nope!), Ignore or Eject"

I've never had a problem with this card, I've always transferred this way and done it dozens of times already this year.

Upon putting the card back into the camera (To try and transfer via EOS utility), The camera is giving me the message "Card cannot be accessed, Reinsert/change the card or format the card with the camera"

Has anyone experienced this before and more importantly, have you managed to save your data from a card behaving this way.

The footage I've recorded was for a one time event never to be repeated so it is inconceivable that I could lose all of this data :/

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Canon 70D - 64GB 2 Hour Recording... Gone!?
on Feb 13, 2017 at 8:03:14 pm

Hi Michael,

Can you tell me more on how you set up your camera and capture? Were you capturing to the 70D and monitoring using the EOS utility?

[Michael Cassidy] " It seemed the memory had run out on the 64gb card."

This leads me to believe that filling your card to capacity may have had something to do with the issue. Have you ever filled your card to capacity with this set up before?

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/codywalters/

Return to posts index

Michael Cassidy
on Feb 13, 2017 at 8:10:56 pm

Hi Cody.

I capture video on this camera only for my YouTube work. I connected the 70d via USB to my computer and use the EOS Utility software to see what the camera is seeing, I would use the flip screen but I find the software much easier.

For the record, I installed Magic Lantern on my camera so that if the recording goes over 29:59 (which it does every time I record), it stops the recording for literally 1 second and starts recording again on a new file.

So in this particular occasion, I was about 2 hours into recording, I'm not usually looking at my EOS software because I'm looking in a different direction and upon checking the software sporadically, it had closed down and upon reopening, it said the card was out of space. When I put the card into my laptop (and camera), it was unreadable by either of them.

A friend of mine said that in this situation, often the camera doesn't have the opportunity to end the file and hence it is left 'unfinished' hence it's unusable/transferrable.

Since then, I've formatted the card and the camera/EOSU recognise it again and everything seems rosey... I guess it's just a case of not pushing it too far, or, trnsferring and formatting as more frequent intervals.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Feb 13, 2017 at 8:29:33 pm

[Michael Cassidy] "A friend of mine said that in this situation, often the camera doesn't have the opportunity to end the file and hence it is left 'unfinished' hence it's unusable/transferrable."

I would agree with your friend. I've had issues that like maybe two or three times with the camera not completely closing the file, resulting in an unreadable file. However, I am able to load the card into the computer and copy data. I've used Treasured to recover files that did not finalize the file.

Were you able to see any data from the card and copy them? That is key to have any chance at recovery.

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/codywalters/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]