FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stubborn Zoom Ring on 16-35mm f/2.8L II

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Sims Jr.
Stubborn Zoom Ring on 16-35mm f/2.8L II
on Apr 8, 2011 at 10:49:46 pm

I shoot doc video with a T3i. I just purchased a refurbished EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II direct from Canon.

The barrel, optics, AF and electronics seem flawless according to my first run-through, but the zoom ring is VERY tight, significantly moreso than any other zoom lens I've used. I tried a buddy's 24-105mm f/4, and it was much easier to move.

No dealer in my area (Chattanooga) has this lens in stock, so I can't put my hands on another one exactly like mine to compare.

I called Canon tech support (very, very friendly BTW), and they said it sounds normal to them, especially for a fast UWA zoom which has to move some big elements around in there.

The operation is smooth, but it just really takes a grip and twist to move it. I want to believe that the tight fit just means I have an exceptionally high-tolerance lens, but I'm worried it may mean trouble later.

I REALLY need this lens; it's the only zoom that gets reasonably wide on an APS-C camera. I also love the image quality. But with only a 90-day warranty, I want to make sure this one doesn't have a birth defect.

Any help helps.

Anthony Sims Jr.
SIMSdv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]