FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Issue - Jagged lines appearing when filming guitar strings

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Foster
Video Issue - Jagged lines appearing when filming guitar strings
on Jan 27, 2017 at 10:10:55 am

Hello there,

The issue is attached in picture form as a screenshot and is primarily to do with how guitar strings are coming out in the video. As you can see from the still, they have this kind of streaking/strobing effect. I've searched high and low for an explanation - possibly it is the studio lights we are using? I've checked the frequency of the lights matches with the f.stop, shutter speed etc and made sure everything is as it should be..24 frames per second and such but whatever I try, I cannot get rid of this issue with how the guitar strings are behaving on camera. Any ideas at all would be great or if you know anyone that could offer up a solution (even if it's post-film edit in premiere or something), it would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 60D. The lens it seems worse on is definitely the wide angle but I find it does it most of our lenses in this setup.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Video Issue - Jagged lines appearing when filming guitar strings
on Jan 27, 2017 at 5:49:17 pm

I think it has a lot to do with how fine they are. Fine lines create moiré, what you are seeing. If you use a macro lens and shoot them really close so they are big in frame does the same thing happen? My guess would be it wouldn't. It's the same issue you get when you film someone with a herring bone pattern on their jacket.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Simon Foster
on Jan 31, 2017 at 10:34:29 am

Hi Warren, many thanks for the reply. I will try this and let you know. Now I know what I'm dealing with, I should have a better idea of how to fix it. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jan 27, 2017 at 7:22:55 pm

Yep, this is moire, or aliasing. Changing the camera angle so that the strings are parallel in frame or zooming in a bit may help.

Return to posts index

Simon Foster
on Jan 31, 2017 at 10:35:51 am

Many thanks for the help - it's very much appreciated. Will be looking into moire and aliasing further and hopefully find a suitable fix. Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]