FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon DSLR Shooters

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Herring
Canon DSLR Shooters
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:35:48 pm

Hey, my company has a need from time to time for shooters in different markets to grab some automotive dealer shots. I would like to use people with Canon DSLR to keep compatible with what we shoot. Is there a list of people who are for hire for shooting? If not maybe it would be a good thing to get started here on the cow. Regards

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Canon DSLR Shooters
on Apr 7, 2011 at 7:56:13 pm

Hi Phillip,

I own a Canon 7D and located in Houston, TX. Send me an email if you are ever in need of a shooter in the Houston area.

cody at codywaltersvideo dot com

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:14:10 pm

Hi Philip...

We're located in Upstate NY.

Equipment List:
Canon 7D
Canon 60D
85mm f1.8
50mm f1.4
24-70mm f2.8
100mm f2
Glidetrack Slider
ProAm 4' Camera Jib
Zacuto Z-Finder and Rapid Fire
Manfrotto tripods and heads.

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:12:06 am

Philip, can you give us an idea of your company? Are you an ad agency, or what? Where are you located? What's your companies background? Your profile is empty, so I'm just wanting to understand a bit more about your company before posting our information up here about what gear we all have.

As for me, if you are needing video shot on Canon in the Pacific Northwest, Our production house has a full complement of Canons, lens, gear, lights, dolly, jib, the works. Let me know via connection on the Cow. I'm cautious about giving out specific information as there has been thefts up here in Seattle done by people farming information on companies over the web. Some companies were wiped out of their gear. The perps were members of a Russian mob that hired young meth heads to research companies on the web. You can understand our concern about providing information on our locations, and equipment to someone with a blank slate here on the Cow.

Alf

Return to posts index

Philip Herring
on Apr 8, 2011 at 12:21:43 pm

I understand Your concern, and will update my profile. I am used to finding crews thru the Film and Tape commissions of various States. These crews use the expensive cameras. I was wondering if the DSLR crowd had formed a directory of their services. I will post the exact cities we shoot in, I have gotten one from Houston, which we do shoot in. I guess I will also post on Craigslist if there is no real directory. I again suggest people serious about trying to market their skills for profit, there needs to be a directory of what services you can provide. This is 2011 and the people who have their information available will prosper. Regards

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:09:17 pm

There are classifieds here at the cow. You can post your production needs when they come up. This is also a good forum to post specific requests.

I'm in Florida and I have posted a need for shooters in the past with an email for response. This gave me a nice list of shooters for future projects too.

You may also find videographer associations in many cities. In Tampa you can use The Tampa Bay Area Professional Videographer's Association. We frequently get requests and post these via our email or facebook page. We have quite a few DSLR shooters.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Apr 8, 2011 at 5:15:26 pm

Thanks Philip. I've found that the DSLR crowd up here in the Pacific NW is a mixed group. So many of the traditional pros still are shooting primarily with shoulder mount ENG cameras sometimes augmenting with DSLR. A good example is some friends of mine who are long time pros and have just in the last six months started shooting with DSLRs. They do have excellent ENG gear that they have always relied on. They don't have a huge array of lens, follow focus, etc that are specific to DSLRs. (I work with them on projects that require that sort of setup). They are not in the big city so their rates are very competitive. They recently did work for a major boat manufacturer, and it looked very good to me (though it's not yet on their web site). Champion Productions is their name.
http://www.championvideo.com/cvp-people/about_champion_video_produc.html

While you have the major cities of Seattle and Portland, and they have their highly professional folks, working with lots of companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Nike, Boeing etc. there are many of us that are not quite that 'professional', in our approach to getting work from folks like yourself coming from elsewhere. I would say that it's been my experience that posting on COW and DVXuser is likely to find serious shooters with the skills (and equipment) to get whatever job you need done. I for one, while back in this fray after an absence of many years, shot professionally stills, advertising and some video for 10 years in my younger days. While I don't yet have the roll that would allow me to feel like I can compete with the pros in Seattle, I do feel I know how to run a production for a commercial field and even studio situation, having done it in the past. I recently completed a three camera shoot, for a

I'm likely not alone given the skills I've seen in friends, like Eric Becker in Seattle, a very skilled DSLR shooter that is just now completing a really nice piece of work for People For Puget Sound. You can see an example of his work at
http://vimeo.com/channels/salishseavideos#15256611 Eric has a great eye, and a very unique point of view, very clean and modern.

Laura James is a younger videographer that specializes in underwater videography up here. Excellent shooter & has captured some unique underwater footage.

John Gussman is shooting the Elwha Dam restoration. Very good eye. He is working in DSLR for his project.

Shelly Solomon is a biologist who has done a number of specialty videos on aquatic issues.

I've been starting up a Vimeo channel to highlight the unique eyes of our local videographers that are focusing on environmental issues, for example. This channel is at http://vimeo.com/channels/salishseavideos

There's a lot of specialization depending on what you need. I doubt that any of these folks are highly involved in listing themselves, but you bring up something that I will ask them about. I've personally been a member of the IDA but don't really go looking for jobs on those boards. The vast array of places to post make it difficult to know what is worth spending time in. COW is a great resource that is my first stop of the day.

As you know, the coordination of a shoot where a client is coming in from elsewhere is a very different kettle of fish in regards to planning, expectations, workflow, location selection, etc. Just recently in my area, a film crew came in to do a Coors ad, and brought all their own people, even shot it using film rather than HD. They must have come to the conclusion that it was easier to bring the crew in than pull it together locally. As I understood, they didn't even hire folks from Seattle, the most logical place to get them.

I'm not sure I would make a lot of assumptions about levels of experience with the DSLR shooters here, maybe anywhere but LA or NYC, and clarify your needs and expectations going in. That will likely lead to the best outcome.

Maybe this is all presumptuous of me, but it's just my observations. If I lived in Seattle or Portland I might see a different view of this.

Alf

Canon 7D/Panasonic 150
Pocket Dolly
Kessler Crane
FCP & Vegas Pro 10.c
Lighting (hot/cool)
Rails/Follow focus
Zoom H4N and Mixpre field mixers
and also work with local recording studios with full professional gear
Green screen capable

Quick 2 minute ad for Wintergrass, shot/edited/launched on FB in 4 hours start to finish.

check out Voices of the Strait, a documentary funded by the Puget Sound Partnership
http://vimeo.com/channels/salishseavideos#12452315

Alf

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Apr 8, 2011 at 5:54:21 pm

I am located in Erie, PA and can serve, Pittsburgh, PA, Cleveland, OH, and Buffalo, NY (all are at most a two hour drive). I use the Canon 60D with Sigma lenses. I have a Zoom H4n, Rode VideoMic and a set of Sennheiser G3 Evolution 100 series microphones for audio. I have full support equipment of tripods, monopods and a 44 inch slider. The lighting system is on the small side with only an Alzo 790L LED light and 36 inch reflector. I do however have access to a setup of Lowel Pro Lights if needed.

Return to posts index

David Wilson
on Apr 10, 2011 at 6:57:06 am

I don't know about a list of shooters anywhere, but I have two T2I's. I've been shooting with them for the past year as well as a panasonic HMC 40 (upgrading to hmc 150 soon). If you need some dealer shots in the Chicago area me or my partner could probably do it for you. You can reach me through my website at http://www.cwcvideo.com if you need any help in my area. I mostly shoot weddings and special events in Chicago and Northwest, IN, but Im sure I could handle a car dealership. Good luck.
Dave Wilson
CWC Video Production
http://www.cwcvideo.com

Return to posts index

Eric Leiser
on Apr 13, 2011 at 6:56:46 pm

Im a Cleveland, Ohio shooter with a 5d mkii.
Lens List (all canon EF):
50mm f1.4
100 f2.8 macro
24-70 f2.8L
70-200 f2.8 L IS ii
15mm fisheye

Have car: will travel.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Richard Crook
on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:27:39 pm

I normally don't do this, but I feel you all should know:

I recently had an interchange with Philip. Here was his reply.

"You are not even in the left field loonie section of the ballpark.  We are a Automotive Advertising agency who does not pay these kinds of rates.  Quite frankly, In the Go Go days of the 90's You are even hi priced for, what at the time, including a good DP, $40K worth of camera equipment. - - - Regards"

I quoted him my normal DP full day rate (750) for a car spot...assuming possible a decent budget. There was no way to know what budget or type of production we were working with. But regardless this unprofessionalism should speak volumes. Also there's a reason he doesn't post any company infor or background,

Return to posts index

Philip Herring
on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:05:17 am

Richard:

The original ad asked for shooters with Cannon 5D or 7D for a automobile dealership in Tyler, TX. This Ad was posted on Craigslist (clue number 2, if you took clue number 1 that the camera body required was $1200) - This Ad was not posted in SHOOT magazine in the back pages of the 4 color print of the magazine. You replied to this initial ad, and sent links with your work, it was good - So I inquired about a day rate for 8 hours of shooting in Tyler TX. You replied with your $750 a day DP rate - $500 Camera rate and add-ons, making it way over budget. No further communication was required since you did not meet the requirements for the job - $600 - $800. I responded to you in the manner in which I did when you contacted me again, not taking hint #3 NO FOLLOW UP EMAIL. I shot off the reply email you so nicely quoted in the beginning of this thread. And in all honesty, it s 100% correct response. Our industry has taken some cost cutting hits in the past 15 years, and paying $1500 per day for a $1200 camera body, tripod and Lav is a little ridiculous. I am sorry your feelings were hurt. Perhaps in the future you can reads ALL THE SIGNS of a POSTING FOR A JOB 1) Posting on Craigslist 2) requesting a $1200 Camera body and 3) no reply when a rate is quote.

Again, have a good day, and I feel you are the unprofessional one - Professionals read signs - and obviously you are oblivious to them.
BTW I have 5 candidates that shoot as well as you, and for the rate required for the job, you might want to reconsider your Day rate. I have worked with some pretty spectacular DPs. Larry McKokney for one - Look him up - Friends with Garret Brown of Steady Cam - I assisted him in college on a film and am fully aware of a professional environment on and off set.

Again, Regards - Philip

Return to posts index

Richard Crook
on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:54:16 am

Well, your ad asked for DSLR shooters or Sony XDcam shooters. For a dealership spot. That could mean any number of budgets. I quoted you my DP rate ( with assistant) and rental for an F3 (which is clearly NOT a 1200 dollar camera).

But what it comes down to Philip, is I clearly misunderstood what type of shoot and budget you were working with. If you said a low-budget non-broadcast video for a local dealership, looking to hire for $600 that would be totally different. I just shot at a dealership a month ago for only 500. No big deal. Lower budgets require lower rates, we all know that. Naturally you prefer a DSLR because of your budget (even though you mention Sony XDcam). But seriously you shot back this totally unprofessional knee-jerk comment that was totally out of line. And the fact you are defending it tells alot.

It's also clear that you feel because someone shoots on a DSLR or you posted on craigslist, then everyone should assume you are working with a low budget or that DSLR shooters who look on craigslist for gigs are somehow entitled to less. I disagree...and feel you should post your budget requirements instead of being very vague and then belittling people when they misunderstand as I did. I am so very sorry for quoting you for a bigger budget.

I'm just making sure others don't make the same mistake I did and reach out to you in good faith.

Return to posts index

Philip Herring
on Feb 9, 2012 at 1:00:24 am

Money is money - I am sorry you are feeling the pinch of lower budgets on your botttom line. If any of the guys which are in my cue for the gig wish to withdraw let me know. ........ ..... Did not think anyone would not take.money. sorry Charlie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]