FORUMS: list search recent posts

80D or A6300 as second camera? Would love to hear perspectives...

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Lombardi
80D or A6300 as second camera? Would love to hear perspectives...
on Apr 25, 2016 at 1:53:56 pm

Hello All,
I am a Canon photo/video shooter. I currently have a 5DmkIII, 60D, and a bunch of L-glass. While I have been building up my 5D setup with a rig, H5n, and a Ninja Blade monitor, I feel I am still in need of a better run n gun-style camera, for those active steadicam shots, during parties/events. I'd be selling off the 60D (and even a Nikon P7700) to ease the cost.
The super-easy touch screen focus of the 80D sounds exactly like what I could use for those instances. However, at about $1000-1200 for that one piece of functionality, yet no 4k or even higher bitrate footage (like I can now achieve with the ninja blade out of the 5dmkIII), I am feeling like there's no bang for that buck.
My alternate idea is to sell the 60D & P7700 and purchase the Sony a6300, with 16-50 kit lens. This would actually take the place of my P7700 as a travel camera, yet mainly be my run and gun workhorse for video. Its got that great autofocus for easier "flying" shots, its got S-log profiles to better match the 5dmkIII wider color grading latitude, and it puts me in the realm of 4k if/when I need it.

All that sounds pretty convincing to me; However- caveats would be needing a spare charger and extra non-canon batteries; The need for Sony lenses if I want to maintain the continuous AF while shooting video; New menu system, no simple touch screen and somewhat unwieldy controls.

Anyway, I value all your professional opinions or even alternate ideas. Thanks. -Frank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]