FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to edit noisy dslr audio

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marina martins
How to edit noisy dslr audio
on Apr 8, 2016 at 3:50:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Recently,I did my first interview shooting with a dslr camera, using a lavalier microphone plugged directly into the camera. As I couldn't monitor the audio, it was only later that I found out the sound was noisy. I believe I have set the sensitivity of the mic too high.
I also discovered the Automatic Gain Control, that can be really annoying! The noise becomes very loud when the person is not talking.
My question is... do you know the best way to edit this audio to minimize the noise?
Is it better to edit the audio before or after video editing?

Than you!

Return to posts index

Eva Birch
Re: How to edit noisy dslr audio
on Jun 19, 2016 at 11:40:40 am

I have had this problem on a few videos I have been editing in Premiere Pro recently. I came across the following guidance on how to deal with this issue, you may also find it helpful. https://www.trainingconnection.com/premiere-pro/lessons/noisy-audio.php

Return to posts index

Ron Yeadon
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:03:29 pm

Never plug mics directly in to a DSLR camera. If you want I can expand greatly on this for you having learned the hard way!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:30:22 pm

[Ron Yeadon] "If you want I can expand greatly on this for you"

Please do!

Return to posts index

Ron Yeadon
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:36:19 pm

The audio drivers in DSLR's are rubbish for. You want to use an external recorder and sync it to the video afterwards. For clip mics I use H1 zooms. They are small and can go in the pocket of the artist. If you're using overhead mics with XLR's then you can use the H4n zoom recorder which also has phantom power. From there you can also take a line out of the headphone jack and into the mic input of your DSLR. Turn the recording level off auto to manual, and crank the level right down to one click above zero. You should then get a pretty good audio signal into your camera using the H4n Zoom as a mic amp.

Return to posts index

Ron Yeadon
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:40:09 pm

But if your audio already has noise on it; Audacity (which is free) has a good noise reducing plugin.

The best is called X-noise which comes with the Waves bundle. It gets rid of ALL background noise. But it costs around $600 just on it's own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]