FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 6D Live View / Video Cuts off intermittently due to motion, maybe? troubleshooting ideas?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Duggan
Canon 6D Live View / Video Cuts off intermittently due to motion, maybe? troubleshooting ideas?
on Jan 20, 2016 at 3:00:57 am

Hi y'all,

I'm new to this forum, but couldn't find anything about this issue here or anywhere else for that matter. I may just be out of a primary video camera, but I figured I'd look for an answer on the internet before making a big purchase to replace my workhorse.

My Canon 6D, now several years old and quite well-used, has been cutting out of live view mode intermittently and sometimes turns back on after a fraction of a second. That is, when I open live view photo mode, live view video mode, or record in video mode, the camera sometimes shuts off live view after as little as a fraction of a second though it sometimes shuts off live view after working for minutes. In fact, as I write this, it has been recording video successfully for 18 minutes. Before this successful recording, though, I couldn't get the camera to stay in live view mode for more than 2 seconds. When the mirror slaps back down and the camera leaves Live View mode, there is no error message or message whatsoever. It does not indicate that there is any problem with the lens attachment, no "Ensure a lens is attached Press Start/Stop button to activate movie shooting", however, as I noted before, live view sometimes turns back on almost immediately as if the lens mount were loose. The locking mechanism for the lens mount is not loose, though, and i can't find any looseness on the screws of any of my lenses or of the lens mount on the camera. Also, if I jiggle the lens, nothing happens. Live view does not always turn back on immediately though. Sometimes, live view simply turns off and stays off as if I hadn't activated it in the first place.

The only things that seem to cause it to happen more often are moving the camera (causes this to happen more often, but I've gotten through 30 minute hand held recordings turning the camera and jerking it in all directions) and pressing the stop/start button (but this does not cause the error every time).

I have managed to replicate this error with the following variables:
- Different lenses. Canon EOS lenses that attach electronically as well as "dumb" lenses (Nikon AIS with dumb adapter)
- No lens attached.
- Different SD cards.
- Different batteries
- Firmware 1.1.3
- Firmware 1.1.6

This sucks. Sometimes it works, but I certainly can't count on this piece of equipment on jobs as my primary camera. If you have any other ideas as to how to troubleshoot, please run them by me, and I'll try them out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon 6D Live View / Video Cuts off intermittently due to motion, maybe? troubleshooting ideas?
on Jan 20, 2016 at 4:01:00 pm

My best guess is that it is a repair issue. You've done a good job trying other options short of sending it in. Canon is luckily one of the better companies for repairs, and I would contact them and ship it to them. They returned my 5D mkiii pretty quickly.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]