FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it Moire? How can I fix it?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Ansley
Is it Moire? How can I fix it?
on Jan 13, 2016 at 10:12:11 pm

So I shot on a Canon 60D with the nifty 50 and they only had LED lights to light the space for the event. I'm not worried about the color but there are moving lines running up the screen in certain places. It's not like I know moire to be from a pattern or something- it's moving lines going up the screen. I'm using CS6 Adobe Premier and After Effects on a:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

Is there any way I can fix this? It's not possible to reshoot.

Lift up the flag and wave it high...Our time is NOW!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is it Moire? How can I fix it?
on Mar 20, 2016 at 9:53:18 pm

We need a screen shot. we need an image.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Is it Moire? How can I fix it?
on Mar 22, 2016 at 6:25:07 pm

No, we don't. This effect is a result of the camera's shutter interacting with the Pulse Width Modulation of the LEDs. It's similar to the effect created when a camera's shutter speed is set incorrectly around fluorescent lights. It's not repairable in post.

Basically, the LEDs are flickering very quickly, faster than your eyes can perceive, but your camera's shutter is picking it up. Since they're LEDs, and not fluorescent, there's no way to know what speed they're flickering, and thus, the only fix is to mess with the camera's shutter until the effect doesn't show up anymore. Or, of course, to use different lights.

I worked for an LED company for four years, so I know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately you can't fix it in post (believe me, I've tried).

Although by now, you've probably figured that out, since this was posted back in January.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]