FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio recording device for 7d?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Lyon
audio recording device for 7d?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:28:10 pm

Hello,

Any suggestions what audio recording device to buy to go with the 7D or 5D? I don't have a big budget. I'm a photographer and videographer and I'd like to try out using a dslr for video. Thanks,
K

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
Re: audio recording device for 7d?
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:22:38 pm

There's two pretty reasonable tools out there... the Zoom H-1 and the The RODE VideoMic are about $100.

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Nathan Troester
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:47:49 pm

What is your budget?

I've had good success with the Zoom H2 ($130) , Zoom H4N ($300), and the Tascam DR-100 ($290). I switched to the H4N because of the XLR inputs. Totally worth it. I use the Tascam too. It's is a bit bulky, but the volume controls are easier and the options for powering it are fantastic.

Just as important is the mic. You could spend a couple hundred to get started, but honestly the Sennheiser G3 lavs and a good shotgun mic (around $600 each) are well worth it.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:59:24 pm

If you want to record in camera, you can use the Zoom with a cable attached and have audio both in the zoom recorder and the camera. The zoom will give you a better quality audio than just recording directly into the camera.

If you want a shotgun type microphone, the Rode mics have a nice sound and a good track record.

Of course, what type of shooting are you doing? That is what will dictate your audio. Interviews / Weddings, you'll need a Lav. I use the Sony wireless Lav systems.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

brian klassen
on Apr 13, 2011 at 12:09:51 am

I've been impressed with the Zoom H4n (new to me). Three or four weeks ago I took 30 minutes of audio-only with the on-board mics near Lake Champlain in Northern Vermont as the ice broke up. You could hear every crack, snap, crash, and groan. Played back later I was impressed. I've also used it plugged directly into my Canon 7D, also good results. If you go with it, I'd highly suggest the remote and a split cable (male/male camera to H4n and female for plugging in headphones). Also the hot shoe adapter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]