FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I have Magic Lantern & Technicolour Cinestyle on my 5d mkii simultaneously?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Thomas
on Aug 24, 2015 at 5:13:48 pm

So, its that clear really!

I'm running a Canon 5D Mkii with firmware 2.1.2 and installed Magic Lantern yesterday onto one Lexar Professional 800x UDMA 7 CF card. I had a shoot today and I noticed more noise than normal in the shadows so I switched out to my standard CF card, however some noise was still visible. During a previous shoot, I was recommended to look into Technicolour's Cinestyle. Research says that basically it shoots a totally flat image so is only worth doing if the footage will be graded, but if this provides a better white balance for skintones (what my issue is quite often with this camera) then it may be worth it. Obviously I enjoy the HUD/info from Magic Lantern and would like to have both!

Any help or advice is great, thanks!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Can I have Magic Lantern & Technicolour Cinestyle on my 5d mkii simultaneously?
on Aug 25, 2015 at 4:35:57 pm

You can use the Technicolor preset when you are shooting h.264. If you are shooting RAW with ML, I don't see a reason because when the footage is RAW, you can post process it any way you like.

By the way, all the Technicolor preset is really doing is decreasing contrast so you don't blow out the highlights. If you are getting noise, do you have the correct ISO? Set in multiples of 160 for h.264-- 160, 320, 640, 1250 etc. Do you need more lighting units to increase exposure?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Nathan Thomas
Re: Can I have Magic Lantern & Technicolour Cinestyle on my 5d mkii simultaneously?
on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:27:56 pm

Hey Warren,

I only shoot h.264 as my videos are predominantly single shot music performance videos, so the RAW cant provide me with 1080p video for long enough (I need up to 5 minutes continuous shooting) from what I have read.

I try to be sure to always shoot in denominations of 160 but this is something I only recently found out so haven't always done so!

In terms of lighting, the whole format of what I shoot is to turn up anywhere and make use of the location as naturally as possible. When I came up with this format we were mainly shooting outdoors, however as we've progressed as a company we've come across many locations that make it seriously hard. But hey ho, its part of the style we go for!

I'll get Technicolour installed and give it a go. Just got to find the bloody cd to install EOS Utility now..

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Aug 26, 2015 at 11:16:42 pm

Hi there, it's fine to run both - one thing, tho, I notice installing ML may wipe out the Cinestyle picture preset. I keep it permanently installed on my User 3 slot (no reason, just seemed like a good place for it) so I can use it whether I'm using ML or not or shooting photo or video. I find Cinestyle works well for weird lighting conditions and pulling detail back from shadow and highlights, but it comes up a little flat when shooting "normal" lighting. I use it on my Canon t2i, t3i, and I've used it on the 5D Mk2.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Nathan Thomas
on Aug 28, 2015 at 12:30:09 pm

Great, thanks for that Jonathan!

I'll get it installed and give it a go on some upcoming shoots. Yeah, I've read that if you're going to shoot with Technicolour's preset, then a good grade in post is a must. Sometimes it will be helpful but sometimes the locations we use provide colours and lighting that works for itself, so having it on User 3 is a great shout.

Cheers,
Nathan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]