FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7d soft video with 15 to 85

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Minor
Canon 7d soft video with 15 to 85
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45:09 pm

I am shooting with a 7D, and a Canon 15 to 85mm lens. When shooting in video mode, I am having focus issues. I have tested this repeatedly...shot wide open at 3.5, also at an f22...It seems that the lens never quite gets into focus. The problem seems to be more pronounced on the wide end of the zoom, and also when the subjects are more than 10 to 12 feet from the camera...I have the camera set to adjust for this lens, and have tried changing the sharpness in the picture style to compensate, but still soft. I am wondering if this is just as good as this lens gets, or if i should be having my brand new lens checked. Any one else finding this issue?

Return to posts index

Richard Baron
Re: Canon 7d soft video with 15 to 85
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:28:39 pm

I agree with you on that one. I'm never 100% happy with the sharpness of the video images, I find its not terribly soft but has a fuzziness to the overall image. I only recently bought the cheap 50mm prime and instantly the difference is noticeable.

I think its even more noticeable in low light? It's not easy getting the sweet spot either.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:53:09 pm

Hi Guys....

I'm pretty happy with my 7D footage overall. It puts my A1s footage to shame. We have a 60D now too.

Having a good optical viewfinder like a Zacuto Z-Finder will help you find sharp focus, especially if you're at f2.8 or f1.4 or 1.8 with a prime.

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Richard Baron
on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:56:40 pm

I think he was asking more about the sharpness of the 15-85mm lens, which I also have. Like I said before I find in more brighter situations and a small aperture the image seems sharper definitely. The maximum the lens does is 3.5 and it does seem a little soft in video.

Currently looking for the viewfinder that doesn't break my bank account also!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]