FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Mills
Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r
on Aug 13, 2015 at 7:18:01 pm

So, I've been shooting video on a canon 7D for a few years now, and I've loved it. However, I have an opportunity to buy a used Sony a7r for a pretty good price, and I'm wondering if I should make the switch.

I use my Canon 7D primarily for video, sometimes with tripods/sliders and sometimes handheld. I edit using Premiere/After Effects and grade with Looks.

I've read reviews that were pretty mixed on the Sony a7r's video capabilities, especially compared to the Canon 5D Mk III. I haven't been able to find much info comparing it to the 7D, though (partly because the 7D is pretty old by now). Do any of you have any thoughts? How does the a7r's video quality stack up next to the Canon 7D's?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r
on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:29:53 pm

See my reply in the other thread you posted. Forget the A7r, and see if you can get into an A7s.

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
Re: Canon 7D vs. Sony a7r
on Aug 14, 2015 at 4:25:56 pm

The 7D was incredible camera when it came out.

1. Rent the A7r2
2. Rent the A7s
3. Dynamic range is better with the A7r2. Still battery life, recording times, heating issues.
Some really good detail here in (4) articles http://wolfcrow.com/blog/sony-a7r-ii-4k-preliminary-guide-ergonomics-and-sp...

4. The 5Dmark3 dynamic range is way below the new standard that Sony has created with the A7 cams.
5. Your Canon 7D is still a powerful Timelapse beast if used with magic lantern!!
6. The menu system

Good luck with your decision.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]