FORUMS: list search recent posts

Format CF for C300 using OSx

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Hoffman
Format CF for C300 using OSx
on Aug 5, 2015 at 12:19:19 am

I work in post for a reality series using C300s at the primary cameras. We are cranking through a lot of CF cards and have limited manpower in the field. It would help the field crew if we were able to properly format the CF cards in post so they could just stick them into the camera and shoot. I have available to me a USB3.0 CF card reader and an computer running OSx 10.8.5.

Is there any software or inexpensive hardware that will format cards without having to keep a camera body on hand?

So far I've tried:

XF Utility - no format function

Disk Utility - copied an empty CONTENTS folder from a properly formatted card. Formatted the card MS-DOS FAT32 and copied the CONTENTS folder onto it. The camera still wanted to initialize the card when I inserted it.

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Format CF for C300 using OSx
on Aug 5, 2015 at 8:37:52 pm

[Hans Hoffman] "Is there any software or inexpensive hardware that will format cards without having to keep a camera body on hand?"

I'm not aware of any. Canon cameras typically need to format the card in camera to be read by the camera. No way around it that I'm aware of and I shoot with C100/300, 5D3, etc. Nothing I've done ever works. So I always make sure beforehand that all cards are formatted and ready to go.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]