FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to take audio out of canon 5d mark 111 to Blackmagic hyperlink

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Horan
how to take audio out of canon 5d mark 111 to Blackmagic hyperlink
on Jun 11, 2015 at 11:37:04 am

Hi I have a Canon 5D mark 111 and want to record to an external recorder, in this case I'm using Blackmagic's Hyperdeck shuffle. I know that with Canon you can't send audio over HDMI, so what is the alternative? Can you go out of the 3.5mm headphone jack to sdi on the Hyperdeck?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: how to take audio out of canon 5d mark 111 to Blackmagic hyperlink
on Jun 11, 2015 at 3:10:07 pm

[Mike Horan] " so what is the alternative?"

Second source audio, meaning you shoot your camera footage to the recorder and the sound to a different device entirely. Then in post you sync the 2 back together. You can use the 5D3 to record audio, it's just that the controls are quite limited and the A/D converters inside the camera are not that good (compared to dedicated devices for audio). But it depends on your workflow and budget.

That's how all audio is handled on my shoots. Camera gets a scratch track of audio sent to it (for syncing purposes), but the actual used audio file during post-production is recorded to a SoundDevices 702.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mike Horan
on Jun 13, 2015 at 6:36:20 am

Thanks Paul, yes I agree that's a good idea. My main issue for interviews I'm using wireless lapel mic connected to the Beachtex DXA-SLR and wanted to output the video and audio to either the Blackmagic Hyperdeck or the Atomos Shogun so I can record to SSD cards that cost a lot less than the CF cards do. Just don't understand why Canon can't output audio along with the video via HDMI?
Is it possible to go out of the canon via the headphone jack into STI port on the Hyperdeck for the audio?

Return to posts index

Shimon Pinto
on Sep 23, 2015 at 12:47:59 pm

Dear Ryan,
Getting sound on ATOMOS SHOGUN using Canon 5d iii is really an issue witch is never being mentioned in the ads. I just can’t get it right.
Using xlr connector to the shogun gives a signal but with a delay that that even for “scratch syncing” seems to big ( ½ a scond at least) let alone as proper sound track.
Have you any idea of how to go about it or must I (we) conclude that Atomos Shogun and Canon 5d maark iii is A BAD combination?
S.Pinto
P.s: Headphone seems also not to work because it delays the sound .

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 23, 2015 at 6:48:41 pm

[Shimon Pinto] "Have you any idea of how to go about it or must I (we) conclude that Atomos Shogun and Canon 5d maark iii is A BAD combination?"

The Atomos is a fine product. The problem is trying to run audio through the 5D3 out to the Atomos. Don't do it. The way you deal with this is exactly what I described for the original poster.

[Ryan Holmes] "Second source audio, meaning you shoot your camera footage to the recorder and the sound to a different device entirely. Then in post you sync the 2 back together."

When I shoot a DSLR on set it just gets scratch audio (recorded internally) on CF card. Then i import my second source audio and sync that up in post. For what you're doing the Shogun is just giving you a better quality picture, but the audio will still have to be matched up. Remember: you're shooting video with a stills camera, so you're going to have to accept some sacrifices. If you want something that handles better audio you'll need to look at the Canon Cinema series, Sony FS7, or Blackmagic products.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Shimon Pinto
on Sep 23, 2015 at 10:19:10 pm

Thank you very much Ryan for your response,
I just received from Atomos a suggestion option that seems to solve my problem:
In Shogun’s audio screen they build a “frame delay” option with quit wide scale, For mee however audio delay of 2 frames looks all right.
So Canon 5Diii and Shogun are stil a good match and their support is great.
On my Tascam 60d markii recorder there is a “slate” option, could this option make sync in post easier? If so what is the best way to use this option?
Looking forwards to your respons and thanks again
S.Pinto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]