FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor audio recorded to 6D without intermediate recorder (like the H4N)

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Leavitt
Monitor audio recorded to 6D without intermediate recorder (like the H4N)
on May 21, 2015 at 4:15:51 pm

Hey all! I've got a question.
I shoot industrial videos on my 6D, almost exclusively on a shoulder rig. So weight for me is a big issue. My current audio setup is to pipe my mic (usually a shotgun) into my H4N, and then using the sescom cable to split the signal, pipe audio out to the camera (to avoid syncing in post), and to my monitoring headphones. So I'm not actually using the H4N as a recorder at all.

Here's my question, is there a way that I could take the signal coming from my microphone and split it for monitoring and recording on my 6D?
Thanks!
Paul

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Monitor audio recorded to 6D without intermediate recorder (like the H4N)
on May 21, 2015 at 4:47:39 pm

Basically, right now you're using your H4n as a mic preamp. The mic doesn't produce signal at a high enough level to register in the DSLR, so the H4n powers it and amplifies it.

The only other way to do this would be to replace the H4n with a mobile mic preamp...but it would weigh the same, so there's no point.

Although it's more cumbersome, the way you're doing it now is the best way to preserve good audio signal flow.

Your other option would be to purchase a different shotgun, something like the Rode Videomic Pro, which is self-powered and has an internal preamp.

Return to posts index

Paul Leavitt
on May 21, 2015 at 6:29:59 pm

So I have the Rode Videomic right now http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917425-REG/rode_videomic_r_videomic_w..., but the specs on its output are in a different format then those of the Videomic Pro, does this change anything?

I also just discovered that not only does the 6D have a built in attenuator, but also that Sescom makes a mini-usb to 3.5mm jack for monitoring audio. So in theory could I use this cable for monitoring, and a regular line cable to go from my H4N to my 6D?
Thanks so much for your help!
Paul

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 21, 2015 at 9:11:11 pm

I believe the output should be about the same, although I have heard that the Pro has less overall hiss. Right now, I don't think you're really gaining anything by using the H4n, except for monitoring capabilities, so if you can do the same with the little USB dongle from the camera, the worst that could happen is that you're out the 30 bucks or whatever it costs. Best case, you eliminate the H4n entirely and save weight. Worst case, it doesn't work. I don't know if the 6D will output audio through USB while recording. Maybe I should find out, since I own one!

I'm a big advocate of not recording audio into DSLRs directly in most cases--unless you can get a really strong signal, and turn the input gain way down, the preamps on DSLRs are pretty bad. I really prefer the dynamic range, cleaner audio, and ease of use of an external recorder on set. But if the result is good enough for what you're doing, and it saves you weight, then you could try it. At this stage, you're not using the H4n to record, anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]