FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to go about editing DSLR footage?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin shelton
Best way to go about editing DSLR footage?
on Mar 18, 2015 at 8:42:02 am

Hello, i have a little problem on my hands.
So far i have been editing the H.264 footage on my laptop (all i have at the moment)
It's slow, really slow. I mean i get by with it because i have a lot of time on my hands but i would like to speed things up. Considering playback time on my timeline in After effects and premiere.
I need to know whats a good way to help edit footage faster on a slower machine
I heard about transcoding but what format should i use. Oh and whats this i hear about proxys?
I like the idea of proxys but i dont know how to go about doing this correctly.

Please give advice. I have this cool short film im working on and its looking really good but i have alot of video files and editing on the h.264 format is not helping.

Oh and more thing. I mostly edit everything in After effects. I cut and apply effects in one go.
Is there a better workflow? Anything to increase the speed of editing.

Thanks guys :D

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Best way to go about editing DSLR footage?
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:21:00 pm

[Austin shelton] "Oh and more thing. I mostly edit everything in After effects. I cut and apply effects in one go. Is there a better workflow? Anything to increase the speed of editing."

Yeah...use a NLE to edit, not a visual effects/motion graphics software.

Edit in Premiere Pro, vfx shots go to After Effects (you can use Dynamic Link if you're using CS6 or later), come back to Premiere with finished shots and apply any finishing touches, export final product out. Premiere Pro is built to be the hub that everything goes into and then out to - After Effects, Speedgrade, Photoshop, etc. AE is not meant for editing, and playback in there is lousy for editing.

Proxy workflow requires that you transcode all your footage to a simpler, easier to use codec, typically this is DNxHD36 or ProRes Proxy. But that means that you'll need to store both your masters and your new proxy files (increasing your storage costs). You can search the Cow and find plenty of threads about this workflow:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/956122

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:14:19 pm

Download the latest MPEG streamclip. It's free, it works great for transcoding. I use prores to transcode. The problem is the h.264 footage is heavily compressed and takes loads of processor time just to play - let alone edit. Transcoding converts footage to a less compressed format which means it's less processor intensive (faster). The files will wind up bigger, but easier to edit.

Let us know how it goes! :)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:45:35 pm
Last Edited By Bob Dix on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:38:35 pm

Could not agree more. We changed to a 4 core Server when CS5.5.2 came a long and have not looked back, especially when using the Mercury Playback Engine accelerated GPU, and that was 3.5 years ago.And using mainly mov. H264 from a Canon 5 D mark II.
Cheers........................

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:55:10 pm
Last Edited By Bob Dix on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:36:37 pm

You need a Dell M 6600 Laptop or equivalent with Premiere Pro and using the Mercury Engine, do not just use the normal software for effects.
The PC and Premiere Pro with H.264 is very fast with Adobe approved NVIDIA Engine .ie., NVIDIA Graphics & Video processing units.The Dell is equipped with an M Series but you could specify a stronger unit, I think ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]