FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magic Lantern

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Lelevier
Magic Lantern
on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:35:47 am

I have a Canon 60D and I use it for still photography and for video. If I install ML, can I disable it to shoot photos? or is it active all the time or can you bypass it for stills. Or, is ML also used for still photography. I know, too many questions.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Magic Lantern
on Mar 9, 2015 at 2:47:33 pm

ML is just a firmware that you run when the camera boots up. You can chose to run it or not. However, you should do some research at Magic Lantern's website to make sure that's the case with the your camera, Canon 60D. I run a 5D Mark III and the ML hack lives on a SD card that we can leave in or take out at will. The 60D may or may not be different.

You can use ML for stills and video if you want. Because you're camera already shoots RAW stills there isn't much benefit for Magic Lantern on the stills side. It's mainly aimed at RAW video recording.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Beth Cramer
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:51:27 pm

My canon 5d mark iii firmware is 1.3.3 and I've read a lot of old comments regarding ML with that version not working. Does it work or do I need to downgrade my firmware? Also when I go to ML website downloads I only see the option to download Nightly Builds, but that doesn't seem right. Can you help me?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 1, 2017 at 6:45:05 pm

Hey Beth - if memory serves I think the best firmware version was 1.2.3 if you wanna run Magic Lantern on your 5D3 (you can also run 1.1.3 as well). Because Magic Lantern is a hack for your camera nothing is truly supported, so your best bet is to read the ML pages, and surf on YouTube for how-to videos. As such, you're downloading a hacked piece of software that is going to insert itself into the camera's boot up process before the internal software takes over. So the hacking community is always tinkering with the software, hence "nightly builds." Since the 5D3 is an older camera now you can expect the nightly builds section won't truly be nightly. When a camera is first released the community is far more active and posts updates as soon as something is discovered. Don't let it set you back, that's normal once you move off the traditional firmware download approach directly from the vendor.

But remember - Magic Lantern is not endorsed or approved by Canon. If something happens then Canon may reject the warranty as a result.

But you can jump over to the ML page and download the nightly build that corresponds to your camera and firmware if you so chose:
http://builds.magiclantern.fm

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]