FORUMS: list search recent posts

More grain on good lighting then i expected!! Any thoughts????

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin shelton
More grain on good lighting then i expected!! Any thoughts????
on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:29:14 am

Hello, i'm posting again to show something that has now, really been an issue eversense i got my DSLR.
It's the Canon 700D
I'm using the kit lens btw.

I have provided a video showing different iso settings and my shutter and f stop settings.

I had good lighting in the video. It was a bright diffused day and it was coming through a window.
I made sure to expose the video correctly before the tests. Yet, i still was getting lots of grain in the low end.
800 iso should be relatively clear correct? I then proceeded to see that maybe more iso would result in less grain as sometimes that will do the trick. Nope. Then i used a intermediate iso at the end and that still was pretty bad. im using ML hack also. I used the flat picture style to make sure no extra contrast or sharpness was added and i did nothing to the video when editing them together to make sure i get the best representation of what im talking about. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: More grain on good lighting then i expected!! Any thoughts????
on Feb 17, 2015 at 5:14:15 am

I still don't understand what kind of performance you're expecting from a DSLR. There will be noise with EVERY camera. Either deal with it or denoise it if it bothers you.

[Austin shelton] "I had good lighting in the video. It was a bright diffused day and it was coming through a window."

That's not good lighting for a dark kit lens when shooting inside.

Return to posts index

Austin shelton
on Feb 17, 2015 at 5:31:23 am
Last Edited By Austin shelton on Feb 17, 2015 at 5:40:06 am

Well i suppose im wrong then? Expecting less noise than that.

I'v seen video all over youtube showing better noise performance using the KIT lens and they was outside at (night). No digital noise removal on most iv seen as they have stated that.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 17, 2015 at 7:57:42 am

[Austin shelton] "I'v seen video all over youtube showing better noise performance using the KIT lens and they was outside at (night)."

Well they probably pick their compositions so they can use the lowest ISO they can and expose properly with the limitations in mind.

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:09:16 am

I try to never shoot more than 400 ISO on any DSLR. I know some say Native 800 or 1600 but I prefer 100 @1/50 @ f/2 if I have to or if I want shallow DOF. I usually try to light for whatever I want my camera to be set at.

If I am shooting a band in a dark club, for example, I prefer to light the band, and have a very small, optional on-camera LED. That way I can shoot around f/4 or f/5.6 at 400 ISO and it generally will look OK (AS LONG AS THERE'S ENOUGH LIGHT) If they aren't lit, and lighting is unavailable, call it a night and drink with the band after you fake that you're getting some good video. If need be, go up to 800 or 1600 at the VERY MOST. Unless you're using a 5dMkiii which will probably have superior noise reduction. But don't expect magic out of your DSLR unless you're lighting like a master.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 17, 2015 at 2:49:31 pm

Austin - the image you're seeing is exactly what the 700D (or t5i here in the States) produces. Nothing is abnormal or wrong with your camera.

Some things to keep in mind:
(1) Higher ISO's will create more noise. I believe the base (i.e native) ISO for most Canon DSLR's is 160. Staying in multiples of that usually results in the "best possible picture." But again "best possible picture" does not mean no noise. It just means it's minimized.
(2) Kit lenses are slow are usually poor quality. Shooting at f/4 or f/5.6 means you need to up your ISO if you want to have a shot at exposing correctly with only minimal lighting (like you have in your video above).
(3) You need more light. All cameras need to be fed a steady and constant diet of light. The notion that people can buy a DSLR and run around in the moonlight (or on a cloudy day inside their room) and shoot images that are spectacular with no extra effort is a misguided notion perpetuated by too many videos from 2008-today. To expose well you need light. To run at a lower ISO, you need light.
(4) My experience with the ML hack is a double edged sword. It allows you the ultimate flexibility over the image in post, but it also seems to allow you to see all the flaws of these cameras and sensors. So running RAW means you're gonna see the good, the bad, and the ugly of a consumer camera. If you're not planning on doing some work in post with it (denoise, sharpen, color grading, etc) then it's probably not the right tool for the job.

Just my $.02

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Austin shelton
on Feb 17, 2015 at 3:45:46 pm

Ok thanks guys this all makes sense.
Im getting a lens with a f stop of 1.4 in 3 days so maybe that will allow the best image. Its a vintage lens but its better than the nifty fifty and its sharper :) Iv been learning and learning and it keeps getting better and better. I mean iso 800 was not allllllll that bad tbh the more i look at it. Nothing a little denoise wont fix and and maybe some color correcting with some contrast so i can crush the shadows just a tad to hide the noise right? i mean the white was very clear so maybe im just expecting to much with this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]