FORUMS: list search recent posts

alternative to square space and smug mug

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
alternative to square space and smug mug
on Feb 14, 2015 at 8:15:31 pm

experimenting with sites to host our video/photo biz. Using vimeo for video. The problem we have with the square space site is lack of full screen mode for stills. I want a folder of photos to display full screen using arrow keys to toggle between files. None of their templates accomplish this.

We've looked at smug mug but don't like the percentage they charge on top of any third party cuts for services. We are going to go with a simple credit card service and deal with delivering orders locally. Smug mug uses pay pal which again is more expensive than stripe which I think will handle our credit card needs.

We're leaning toward learning wordpress and buying a template for it that uses lightbox for full screen viewing.

Any suggestions for templates, tutorials to learn word press, host sites to set this up on, etc would be welcome.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Rob White
Re: alternative to square space and smug mug
on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:12:00 am
Last Edited By Rob White on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:34:25 am

I feel like you can set pages to be like a light box instead of a grid in squarespace.

whitelilyfilms.com/potd

This is a grid view, but when you click the photo it pops up as a lightbox. But I'm sure you can make it work so that it is always 1 photo.

I'll try to make a test for you on our site.

-r

EDIT
You can set up your gallery as a controllable slide show. (explanation below)

You can also display your work, without controls using a cover page. Like our home page. http://www.whitelilyfilms.com/

So you have to go through your Design pane, to your Style Editor pane. Then Gallery Settings are listed at the bottomish of the page.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: alternative to square space and smug mug
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:08:11 am

Thanks Rob. Beautiful shots. However, I am still not seeing full screen on any of your links. Your cover page with or wout the text would still have the browser's navigation bar above the picture. Again I want the equivalent of clicking the full screen button on a vimeo video. Even in mac's finder you can double click a picture>opens in preview> click the green button on the top left and the photo will be full screen - no distractions at all. If you open several photos in preview you can command ~ between them. Aperture has a full screen mode. We've tried several templates in square space and not finding this.

The closest we've gotten is putting a black frame around each photo so that at least it gets separated from the navigation bar.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]