FORUMS: list search recent posts

What format to shoot TV Commercial in?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
grace walsh
What format to shoot TV Commercial in?
on Nov 6, 2014 at 3:25:32 pm

I recently shot 2 videos for a client and I am now told they want to use them for tv. I shot 1920x1080 23.97p. My question is what format should I be editing in? Or do I need to change the format I shot in? Ive never made anything for TV and I don't know what format it needs to be in. I shot them on Canon7D and I edit in fcpx

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: What format to shoot TV Commercial in?
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:24:35 am

Edit in the format you/time base you shot in. Once you're done editing you'll need to check with the station(s) that will be broadcasting your stuff and get their requirements. Since broadcast runs at 29.97 you'll have to do a frame conversion so as to make your footage conform correctly. But check with the station for format/codec that they want.

Your other option is to convert all your footage before you start to edit to 29.97 frame rate. I think that's a bigger pain, so I recommend doing it once you're done with the edit. In the future, you should know you're delivery medium - film, broadcast, Bluray, DVD - and shoot accordingly.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

grace walsh
on Nov 10, 2014 at 1:29:37 pm

Thanks Ryan-what do you recommend I use to convert my footage? All of my footage is 1920x1080 23.98 and one TV station for example wants it 720P 59.94. I currently edit in FCPX and have Compressor Version 4.1.3

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:08:22 pm

Compressor will do the job for you. Adobe Media Encoder, Telestream Episode, Sorenson Squeeze are other options (all paid options). Best practice is find out where you're delivering first, then shoot the format needed right from the start.

But since you're in 23.98, I would work in the frame rate - edit, graphics, color, etc. Export out a master file when you're done and then convert that to the appropriate format(s) - 60i, 60P, etc.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]