I have a Canon EOS M. I have a Canon ES 18-55mm lens that works perfectly. However, I wanted to attach other types of lenses to the camera.
So I bought a Fotdiox Lens Mount Adaptor (EOS M Mirrorlesss Cameras) (FD-EOS-M). And, for a lens, I bought a FD Canon 28 mm prime lens.
Unfortunately, while mechanically I can attach the adaptor/lens to my Canon EOS M and play with the focus and see this focus change on my LCD screen, there are 2 problems.
1. When I turn the Aperture Ring, there is no shift image at all. It's like the ring doesn't work.
2. When I hit the record button, it does not record. No red light at all. When I throw it on photo, it won't take pictures.
I called Canon but since I have an adaptor that's not Canon, the tech support person was being vague and confusing. I am going to call Fotdiox on Monday. Still, I figured this forum might be the best place to get some info.
Since the camera works with my other Canon lens, I assume my inability to record or take photos is due to the following:
1. You can't use a Fotdiox FD-EOS Adaptor on Canon EOS M camera.
2. You can use a Fotdiox FD-EOS Adaptor on a Canon EOS M camera but the adaptor is faulty.
3. You can't use a Canon FD lens on a Canon EOS M Camera regardless of what adaptor you buy. It's just impossible.
4. My Canon 28mm FD lens is faulty and the Fotdiox Adaptor should work.
I also assume it could be 1 or more of the above 4.
Again, I am baffled since I can attach the lens and I can control the focus ring right on the EOS M.
If anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear it.
Not sure if it's the same with the FD to EOS adapters, but I have several of those. For one, make sure you put the adapter on "install" when inserting the FD lens (this ensures you get the aperture thing right otherwise you won't be able to adjust aperture), then make sure you move the adapter from install to one of the aperture settings. On my EOS cameras, I just need to tell the camera that I have a lens attached (it asks me to verify I have a lens attached on my T2i and T3i).
EOS-M cameras may not work without an appropriate lens installed (one that reports itself to the camera).
Save early. Save often.
I had the exact same problem. I had just acquired an EOS M, slapped on an FD lens adapter, put on the lens...
And the Record button didn't work!
The answer lies within Custom Functions(C.Fn)
Go in and find
Release shutter w/o lens
and set to
I hope that helps!