FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony A7s Image stabilised lenses

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvid Utas
Sony A7s Image stabilised lenses
on Oct 15, 2014 at 2:00:56 pm

Hi, I don't know if this the right forum (I couldn't find an "Other DSLR" forum let alone a "Mirrorless" one) so, Admin please move if you think it should be anywhere else.

My question is regarding lenses for the Sony A7s. As it has a bad case of the rolling shutter it has been suggested that lenses with IS is better. So I was checking out the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD which seems to be a good lens.
Except, apparently the E Mount version doesn't have the IS (or VC - Vibration Control as they call it).
Why? Because Sony cameras has that built into the body. Except they don't, not on the A7 models.

This seems particularly stupid to me, have I misunderstood it in some way or is there a better solution? (I suspect you all will say Metabones but I'd like to go without adapter if possible...)

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Sony A7s Image stabilised lenses
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:39:30 pm

Image stabilization won't impact your rolling shutter. Image stabilization just helps stabilize shaky (or when tracking an object) footage. Your rolling shutter will still roll just as much whether you stabilize the image or not. Depending on what objects you shoot the rolling shutter may be more or less pronounced.

Metabones is simply an adapter to adapt different mount types to a given mount. So if you want to use Canon lenses on a Sony A7s you need an adapter. If you want to use Nikon lenses on a Blackmagic Pocket Camera you need an adapter. The adapter won't impact your rolling shutter either.

The only way to deal with rolling shutter is to (1) Buy a camera with a global shutter, or (2) avoid video shooting situations which highlight or exaggerate the rolling shutter effect (flash photography like at weddings, fast pans, fast moving objects like cars or trains, etc).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Arvid Utas
on Oct 15, 2014 at 4:25:47 pm

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your answer.

I'm surprised to hear that as I've heard a lot of people talk about the benefits of using IS when shooting with DSLRs. I assumed that was because it reduces the jello effect but maybe its just because it improves their shaky camerawork? Or is there no point to using IS when shooting video at all?

I'm know what Metabones and adapters are, what I meant was that I expected people to suggest using Canon glass that has built in IS with an adapter and I was wondering if there was another solution.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 15, 2014 at 6:16:09 pm

[Arvid Utas] "m surprised to hear that as I've heard a lot of people talk about the benefits of using IS when shooting with DSLRs. I assumed that was because it reduces the jello effect but maybe its just because it improves their shaky camerawork? Or is there no point to using IS when shooting video at all"

Yes, IS is good for helping with shaky, handheld video. But that's not going to fundamentally alter how the rolling shutter works in your DSLR works. A rolling shutter works by scanning the sensor very rapidly in either a horizontal or vertical direction. Meaning not all parts of the sensor are recorded at exactly the same moment. So stabilizing the image may help correct some rolling shutter, but if you're filming a passing train either handheld or on a tripod the train will appear skewed no matter what because of the fundamental nature of how rolling shutters read the sensor.

If you're concerned with IS then Canon lenses are the way to go, as you note. They have the IS built into the lens to try and compensate for movement. It's not a magic bullet though as the technology was largely developed for photographers tracking subjects. It wasn't intended for video work per se (you can certainly use it and benefit from it, but its meant for stills people).

There are plenty of tutorials, plugins, and how-to's on YouTube in dealing with rolling shutter. Just do a Google search for jello effect or rolling shutter and you'll have more than enough info to keep you busy! :-)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]