FORUMS: list search recent posts

Severe moire in Canon 5D Mark ii video or something else?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrea minicozzi
Severe moire in Canon 5D Mark ii video or something else?
on Sep 21, 2014 at 6:12:11 pm

We shoot a lot of weddings and mostly use Mark 3s but we also have a Mark 2 that we sometimes use as a third camera. I've noticed that when we shoot video in churches and use the Mark 2 as the center camera, that there can be a problem with the horizontal lines in the image - they often have sort of a blue edge.

This last time we used the Mark 2 as the center camera, the vents on the wall at the back of the alter had major artifacts that looked more intense than any moire issue I've experienced with this camera in the past - like a very bright rainbow. The camera was on a tripod and not moving at all during shot and the rainbow just sat still on the vent area. I'm posting a screen shot of the issue.

You can also see the issue with the blue edges as well throughout the alter area. I've only really noticed these issues when shooting from the center aisle in churches. Is this just an example of extreme moire or is something else going on? Are the blue lines the same issue as the problem with the vents? Is there anything I can do to minimize these effects? We already have the sharpening set to 0 on this camera. Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can offer.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Severe moire in Canon 5D Mark ii video or something else?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 8:54:45 pm

Welcome to the world of DSLR shooting, specifically the 5D2. What you describe just sounds like good, old fashioned moiré - the problem of the sensor resolving a fine pattern cleanly. The best options are to avoid those types of patterns (bricks, vents, etc.) as much as possible...given wedding environments that just not always possible. The 5D3 is less prone to it, but it still happens there too.

Canon's approach to DSLR video has been to line skip on the sensor in order to go from 24MP to 2MP. As a result of that (and the h.264 codec) you typically get left with soft video and a really good shot at some crazy moiré.

If you're shooting in situations like that I would dedicate one of your 5D3's to the angles that would be moiré prone, and use the 5D2 on less challenging angles. The other (more expensive) option is upgrade cameras. DSLR form factor cameras like the Panasonic GH4 or Sony A7S tend to do better handling fine patterns. Or if you want to stay with Canon, something like the C100 is also a very good option.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

andrea minicozzi
on Sep 23, 2014 at 9:18:26 pm

Thanks so much for your reply and help. I see that the screen shot of the problem didn't upload with my post, so I'm going to attempt to upload it again just so you can see the example. I know it is most likely moire, but because of how bad it looks, I just want to make sure nothing else is up.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 24, 2014 at 1:51:16 pm

Andrea - yep....that's pretty much standard moire. Nothing is wrong with your camera....it's just the way many DSLR's handle sampling the sensor for video. Like I said, some of the newer Canon DSLR's do a better job at it (though it's still present), and some other companies like Panasonic and Sony have pushed harder on the moire front to reduce or eliminate it. And Canon now has their cinema line (C100/300/500) which does a good job of handling fine patterns.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

andrea minicozzi
on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:53:06 pm

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]