FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7d recording time

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskin
Canon 7d recording time
on Sep 21, 2014 at 10:57:04 am

Hi just wondered if anyone knew if there was a way to increase the continuous recording time of the canon 7D? It only records 12 mins of HD footage at a time. I have heard of some firmware called 'Magic Lantern' and wondered if this would do the trick and if anyone out there had any experience using it?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Canon 7d recording time
on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:39:46 am
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:42:11 am

Hi Scott - Sadly, there is no way to increase the 12 minute limit on the 7D. Yes, Magic Lantern will "auto restart" your camera so you lose a fraction of a second between clips, but that can be jarring in the middle of a song or a speech.

Even the newer Canon DSLRs are limited to 30 minutes of continuous recording (to include the brand new $1799 7D Mark II).

If you want a DSL-style camera that records for hours continuously (outside of the EU) and uses Canon EF lenses, you'll need a either an $1100 Panasonic GH3 or a $1700 GH4 plus a Metabones Canon EF to micro 4/3 Speed Booster.

The 12/30 minute limit was one of the reasons I ditched my Canon for Panasonic GH cameras.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:06:38 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Bill. I will have to check out the panasonic cameras you mention. Just out of interest, how do they compare in quality to the canon cameras?

Cheers

Scott

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:25:16 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:48:13 pm

Glad I could help, Scott. With respect to the video image quality you'll get from Panasonic cameras, here are a couple of side-by-side comparisons of 2012-era Panasonic and Canon still/video hybrid cameras (the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 60D):

60D vs GH2 Moire Test

Canon 60D vs Panasonic GH2 evil moiré test

The new Canon 70D is not much better when it comes to moiré: Canon 70D and 60D moiré comparison

Bottom line - Below $1700, Panasonic GH cameras have both higher resolution (up to 4K) and less artifacting in the form of moiré.

On the other hand, Canon APS-C cameras have large sensors and (generally) better low light performance and shallower depth of field.

I can fix low light with faster lenses and shallow out my depth of field with ND filters, wider apertures and longer focal length.

Poor resolution, moiré and a 12 to 30 minute clip length limit, on the other hand, you're pretty much stuck with.

That's why I switched from Canon to Panasonic a few years ago and now shoot with the $1698 4K Panasonic GH4.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Sep 30, 2014 at 7:52:55 pm

Thanks again for your help with this Bill.
Much appreciated
All the best

Scott

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Sep 30, 2014 at 3:51:11 pm

As Bill said, Magic Lantern will auto-restart but you will still lose some frames. Having said that, ML is still an amazing firmware and I highly recommend you install it.

The Canon 6D can record ~30 minutes continuously (perhaps more, not exactly sure as I myself have never pushed it beyond ~23 minutes.) It will break it into a few different clips, but not a single frame will be dropped between them

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
on Sep 30, 2014 at 7:54:52 pm

Thanks for the info JP

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]