FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7d Footage recovery issue

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Hart
Canon 7d Footage recovery issue
on Aug 29, 2014 at 7:56:18 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to recover some Canon 7D raw footage from a hard drive.

After dumping the footage, we lost the files somehow**. We ran a recovery on the harddrive (specs: OS: Mavericks; external drive: formatted exFAT; WD 1TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236189)

**sorry for the vagueness, buthis what the person who dumped this footage told us... :?

The recovery found our footage. It has the correct created date on it and looks like the amount of footage we shot based on the other camera that we used.

When we recovered it, the files need to be repaired. I used a software called Treasured. When I put the recovered files through Treasure, the preview images (you have to pay for an actual repair of the file, but they will show you stills of images that it found in the files) show different footage. This footage was shot 2 days later than the footage we're trying to recover. It lives on the same drive as the footage we're trying to recover and was shot on the same camera.

So, what I want to know is, what does this mean? Is our footage corrupted or should we keep trying to recover it? Any suggestions/education would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon 7d Footage recovery issue
on Aug 30, 2014 at 4:07:47 pm

Are you saying that the files are named the same but contain different data from different day shoots? And the date your shoot occurred there are no files from it?

I have tried almost every kind of repair software for damaged hard disks. My favorite, one that works virtually everytime, is DiskWarrior. It's been around a long time, worth paying for, I'd say. My take is that if DW can't fix it, it's likely gone.

As you've found out, media management is critical. If the shoot is critical, dumping to two different hard drives is a good idea, but buying more cards is better and ultimately cheaper (especially in terms of time in the field on location). I never try to erase a card until I've dumped it twice. Also, using a Ninja Blade for example is another way to offload the files while shooting, saves you time in the field! You can unload your CF/SD card to one drive while knowing you've captured the same footage on the Ninja. Gives you a better monitor than the 7D has too, that's for sure!

Good luck!

Al

Return to posts index

Michael Cotgrove
on Sep 7, 2014 at 7:14:51 pm

This is slightly complex, but might help you.

I am assuming your normal video files are .MOV, .MP4 or similar. I am also assuming that the Canon 7D stores data in the same way as my 700D.

Files are not stored physically sequentially. The logical start of the file is stored at the end of the physical file on the memory chip. If you did a 'simple' data recovery program, you will pick up a file header, followed by video data from the next file. The header is actually incorrect, and so you required the video repair program. This may explain why you did not see the correct video

I have developed a program (http://www.cnwrecovery.com) that understands the original structure of the camera memory chip. It will find file headers (ftyp atom) and also search on the memory chip for the correct video data. (Use 3GP/MP4/GoPro wizard)

As long as you have not written anything to the memory chip, the program stands a good chance of recovery. This is assuming that the video from the later two days did not overwrite it. The demo will display thumbnails of valid videos it can find.

Deleted video can be recovered, and do not need repairing, but I can not be sure what went wrong with your chip, hence try the demo, and if need be contact me.

Return to posts index

Jon Hart
on Sep 7, 2014 at 8:33:38 pm

Thank you, Michael. I'm interested in trying CNW but only have access to Macintosh. I don't suppose there's another version you can point me to that isn't featured on the website.

Return to posts index

Michael Cotgrove
on Sep 7, 2014 at 9:45:57 pm

It is only. PC program. I am not aware of any Mac program's that will work with your possible problem

The only two options are, either borrow PC to see if your videos still exist, or send the chip to CnW for a service job.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]