FORUMS: list search recent posts

Could filming a person on white cyc walls affects my 5DMark3 footages bitrate?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Kozak
Could filming a person on white cyc walls affects my 5DMark3 footages bitrate?
on Aug 9, 2014 at 10:54:46 pm

Hi all,
Just finished a shoot where we filmed a fitness instructor against a cyc wall - pure white. Medium to wide shots. 5DMark3 on sticks. 1080p/24. Latest firmware, using cinestyle for flat color profile and Highlight Tone Priority / D+ was on - to compensate for the massive amounts of white.

Usually with the 5DM3 I get between 40-80 Mbit/s for 5D footage, but today my bit rates went way down to 13-17. Footage looks soft and low resolution, even though it's 1080p/24. We thought it was the flat color profile and could fix it in post. But it's not cinestyle and now it looks low res.

I think it may be the way the camera's compression is handling the white walls. Since there is little data in the scene, could the camera be dumping compression to save file size? I've mostly shot photos and not video, I know that JPEG compression changes based upon the information in the photo, so I assume it's possible for video as well.

I've never encountered this before, and wanted help from the forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken Kozak

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]