FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is spending the $ for T5i worth it vs a T3i?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rev. Jay Cross
Is spending the $ for T5i worth it vs a T3i?
on Jun 15, 2014 at 10:46:05 pm

Most of what I've done as of recent, has been related to action cameras...with all of their wonderful quibbles. While its fun to strap my camera onto a quadrotor, it leaves a LOT to be desired when shooting in my office, or for that matter, anything closer than 2 feet away.

SO I'm looking to buy a refurbished DSLR and go that route. I've considered a BlackMagic as well, but the pricetag is a bit more than I can handle right now.

The T3i is everyones first recommendation to me; its known good-tech, there are tons of reel's to watch online of its quality, the firmware-upgrade thingy "Lantern" or whatever, and the fact that its generally superior to something like the d3200 in the same pricepoint. I can get a used T3i kit from B&H for under $500 refurb, or like 50-60 more for new.

The T5i, lists a number of video-specific advantages according to the fact sheet. Live autofocus, longer record times, touchscreen (don't care), etc.....but everyone says its just a T4i with some new features. Refurb from the same place is like $650's

SO, what would you guys recommend? Is there any reason to spend the extra $150? Its my first foray into DSLR video, but I've used a DSLR a few times for photo's, and I'm familiar and equipped in terms of NLE/hardware/audio stuff.

Thanks!

The Reverend Jay, aka REV J.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Is spending the $ for T5i worth it vs a T3i?
on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:14:23 pm

[Rev. Jay Cross] "SO, what would you guys recommend? Is there any reason to spend the extra $150?"

There's plenty of reasons. You'll have to decide if it's worth it for you. Looking at "Body-Only" prices between the T3i and the T5i you're only talking about $100 difference. With DSLR's one of the biggest differentiating factors is the lens. Lenses tend to be expensive for good quality. Kit lenses that come standard on many DSLR's (especially the entry level DSLR's) tend to be cheaper lenses without the capabilities of their more expensive counterparts. But you asked about DSLR's... :-)

The biggest differences between the 2 cameras:
(1) Low light response (T5i being about twice as sensitive to light, meaning you can shoot in darker places and still have a usable image. This is what ISO refers to)
(2) Longer recording times

So if you only shoot in well-lit, staged environments and only need to record for 10 minutes or less at a time then the T3i would probably serve your needs. However, if your environments tend to not always be well lit and produced, and you need to record for up to 29 minutes continuously then the T5i is the winner.

Also keep in mind that audio on DSLR's is a struggle to say the least. Most people who record on DSLR's (myself included) use second-source audio. So the camera isn't the primary source where you're recording audio. Typically people will record to a dedicated audio device and then in post-production match that audio source up to their footage from a DSLR. Something like a TASCAM 60D seems to be pretty popular right now or second source audio.

Also keep in mind that you'll need SD cards that are fast enough to record media on, batteries, different lenses for different focal lengths, etc. A DSLR is a versatile tool, but one that needs a lot of support in order to make it work for video. Remember that these are STILLS cameras first....video is a distant second!

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Rev. Jay Cross
Re: Is spending the $ for T5i worth it vs a T3i?
on Jun 17, 2014 at 6:41:10 am

Thanks for your response Ryan. I'm prepared enough from an audio standpoint, as even now I end up re-voicing most of the studio stuff. Same goes for things like Sd cards and some of that "infrastructure". Its not my first time with video, nor my first time with a camera, simply my first time using DSLR's in particular for video. I will take a look at the hardware unit you suggested for ambient/situational audio.

As for the Recording times, that does make a big difference, but from what I'm reading the issue can be skirted with the firmware changes...though being able to have a wifi connection to trigger through an app would be very nice. GoPro did spoil me on that fact.

The low light issue is a bigger one. I do have some lighting, but when we do outdoor and semi-outdoor shoots for car shows etc, I don't want to worry that I'll lose good footage to bad lighting if the weather is erratic or we are stuck on situational lighting only.

While I understand DSLR's are designed for stills, thats the route I (and apparently more than a few others) would be subject to taking....unless there is a prosumer video camera that can beat its results for the same dollar. Sadly, every midrange (5-1100$) video camera I see ends up being a glorified camcorder, doing nothing more than my current cameras do, aside from increased battery life and onboard storage.

The Reverend Jay, aka REV J.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]