FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best shooting mode/settings for run-and-gun video?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Best shooting mode/settings for run-and-gun video?
on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:13:17 pm

Hi,
I recently got a Canon 5D Mark III but come from a camcorder background, and this weekend I have to do a run-and-gun video shoot with my 5D. And I just had a few questions below on things like the best settings and quick ways to achieve critical focus (I have a decent Canon zoom lens with auto-focus). Any advice would be much appreciated. The shoot is a children's party about which I'm supposed to make a short video.
-What's the best mode to shoot in? I saw a video that suggested 'TV' or shutter priority mode so I can have control over shutter speed and get the best quality motion. Do people agree? Because things are going to be moving quickly, and I'm new to this camera, I'm not going to be as concerned with things like depth of field here. Rather I'll be primarily concerned with achieving proper focus and exposure.
-Related to that, in a run-and-gun video situation like this, what's the best way to achieve critical focus quickly? Should I just half-press the shutter button with auto-focus turned on? (if so I can't be in manual mode right? with my camcorder I've usually shot in manual, as the auto-focus is often wrong.)
-Best movie rec. size? This video will be for Youtube, and when I shoot for Youtube with a camcorder I usually set it to 720p/24PN. But I notice there's no such choice here. One consideration I had was I was hoping to have a 24p video but I also would like to have some slow motion opportunities in post? So I also wondered about the best movie rec. size?
-Finally, although my primary purpose is to shoot video, they mentioned they'd be interested in having some stills too. What's the best mode/settings to shoot in if you might switch quickly back and forth between shooting stills and video?

Much appreciated,
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]