FORUMS: list search recent posts

A question for shooters

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TL Westgate
A question for shooters
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:50:43 pm

I have been gigging for this place and they have an annoying (to me) habit. I have tried to tell them otherwise, but they are insist on not changing. Or in my opinion, improving.

We shoot with Canon 5Ds and when done, turn in the CF cards to their digital asset manager. On more than one occasion I have started off a shoot and there is footage left on the card. On site, I have no clue if that footage has been saved off to a computer.

They tell me it's the camera person's job to format the card at the start of each gig. I have repeatedly tried to tell them that's not industry norm. The person offloading the footage is supposed to MOVE, not COPY the footage off. That way, when the card is used again, it's empty and the camera person has no fear of overwriting or formatting potentially unsaved footage.

So, what do you do? Am I right? Or are they? What's your procedure? Any insights would be appreciated.

-- TL

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: A question for shooters
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:39:28 pm

There should be a marking system where the card is marked as transferred or data backed up. It is always better to format the card in the camera, not on the computer.

I use a system where each card is numbered with a Brother P-touch label. I can track the card and if there are write errors, see if it follows a specific card number (indicating a bad card).

The cards are stored in a Pelican card holder number up, meaning they are ready to shoot on. When they are full, they go back in the case, number down, card logo up.

Once they are transferred and backed up they go back in the case numbered up. I know they have been copied and I can format them.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

TL Westgate
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:50:29 pm

The method I use is to merely drag and drop the folder with the footage off the card to a computer using the right mouse button and selecting MOVE instead of copy. No formatting needed.

-- TL

Return to posts index

Aaron Jones
on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:44:01 pm

First off, I'd say there's no "right way" to manage digital assets. While I think most of us would agree that a well-defined workflow of labeled media and duplication is ideal, unfortunately, it usually comes down to your DIT's personal preference.

Secondly, I'd make the argument that if that's how they roll, just do what you're told. If they lose footage due to the practices they've implemented, that's on them - not you.

Finally, the system I've always used is a label face-up/face-down approach. Face-up means empty/backed up, face-down means it hasn't been duplicated yet. I've also added one additional layer of security to that, by marking labels with a grease pen before starting a shoot. Once the DIT has backed up the clips, he wipes the label clean.

I'm a unique blend of overachiever and procrastinator. I'll do it all - later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]