FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Options For Canon 5D Mark II

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Klingler
Editing Options For Canon 5D Mark II
on Jan 9, 2011 at 12:24:37 am

Is there any reason you could not use an AJA KONA on a PC to edit footage from this model Canon digital camera? Is anyone using this hardware to edit with their CANON with HD 1980 X 1080 footage?

Please share what you are using to edit with using this setup. I have heard of technical problems with getting this footage into a usable state.

Allan Klingler
http://www.tetonvideo.com

---------
Professional videography since 1996
http://www.tetonvideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Editing Options For Canon 5D Mark II
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:13:32 pm

[Allan Klingler] "Is there any reason you could not use an AJA KONA on a PC"
KONAs are or Mac. XENA is the AJA line for PCs.
Those are cards for capturing and monitoring.
Having a KONA/XENA won't change your workflow with DSLRs footage.
You need to transcode the H264 files to Prores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Jan 25, 2011 at 6:12:54 pm

Actually XENA isn't made anymore, it has been re-branded on both Mac & PC as part of the KONA line now...

In terms of setup for editing 5D Mark II footage, what's your budget? People edit on less than iMovie machines all the way up to full-featured systems with input/output cards, massive TB's of RAID'ed storage, sometimes on multiple workstations... it all depends on the budget, the project, and what makes sense to your workflow.

Do you need a KONA card? No, but it does help as you can see your timeline real-time previewed on a broadcast monitor WHILE editing.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:20:45 pm

Must be nice working in the TETONS , do not muck around use Adobe CS5. I have been using Premiere Pro 1.5.1 for 6 years and use Premiere Elements to transcode to HDV /mpeg-2 as the old Adobe cannot handle the H.264 mov files correctly , you would find it hard to see any quality change from 1920 x 1080p to 1440 x 1080i in professional tape, the video is visually stunning in both formats so is the audio

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:16:57 pm

Adobe's Production Premium CS5 would be ideal. Unlike Final Cut Suite, Premiere Pro CS5 can edit DSLR footage in its native H.264 acquisition codec with no problems. Even so, it's still wise to convert it to an intermediate codec for additional work through the production process.

H.264 may be fine as a delivery codec and okay as an acquisition codec, but it can't withstand re-rendering: it's extremely lossy.

And a Kona card would be great for running an HD video monitor, which you're almost certainly going to want to get for such things as editing & color correction, correct?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 13, 2011 at 11:06:47 pm

Thanks Dave,

Yes we usually transcode to microsoft avi 1440 x 1080 i, uncompressed then back into the timeline to final edit, it works ok , it would seem I do not need CS5 for what we do. maybe faster with our XEON Server ?

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:20:06 pm

[Bob Dix] "...we usually transcode to microsoft avi 1440 x 1080 i, uncompressed then back into the timeline to final edit... it would seem I do not need CS5 for what we do. maybe faster with our XEON Server ?"

Or find a lossless AVI codec. Uncompressed files' huge bit rates could be slowing things down. I'm an all-Quicktime kind of guy, and very unfamiliar with what's available in AVI.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:49:55 am

I thought the "uncompressed files" would give better quality, it looks very good Export to Tape, and no shakey lines etc. on blu-ray or DVD

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2011 at 10:03:58 pm

Well. think of a lossless vs. an uncompressed file this way:

Let's say you write a big, long document in Microsoft Word, and you want to email it. As you do, your email application may compress it to save on file size.

When it's opened up on the other end, you have complete faith that every character, tab, punctuation mark and text formatting feature used will still be present in the document. That's lossless compression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 16, 2011 at 12:30:52 am

I take it that means H.264mov 1920 x 1080p@25 fps from a Canon 5D mark II on the timeline in CS5 will loose quality unless you change it to say avi HD ?

Thanks

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:55:20 pm

It means that the difference between an uncompressed codec and a lossless codec is file size.

If you ONLY do cuts-only editing and nothing that requires rendering in Premiere, H.264 footage is fine. But who does that? Who doesn't do a little color correction or a dissolve or some work in After Effects? It may be best for people who indeed do color correction and work in After Effects to convert either to a lossless or (at the very least) high-quality codec upon ingest of H.264 footage to avoid image degredation.

As I say, I never work in anything but Quicktime, so I'm a very poor resource on Windows-centric media containers like AVI.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:02:57 pm

Thanks Dave,

Something to ponder, very interesting.

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index