FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting at Night with a DSLR like Zero Dark Thirty?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Hank
Shooting at Night with a DSLR like Zero Dark Thirty?
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:58:55 pm

Hi,

I have a Canon T4i and just saw Zero Dark Thirty. For those of you who saw it, I'm sure you know the ending raid scene. At night, it looked like it was actually at night without noise on the video or any lit equipment. With a DSLR camera, how would I go about shooting a night scene like that (decent quality) without getting noise on the video? Because it didn't look like an effect done in post and I couldn't really see if there was lighting on the outside set.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Shooting at Night with a DSLR like Zero Dark Thirty?
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:19:51 pm

So let me get this straight - you want to mimic a look from a $40 million budgeted movie with your $500 camera? That movie was largely shot on the Arri Alexa, an $80K camera that is among one of the best currently on the market for low-light performance.

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's just not realistic. Those scenes from the movie still underwent serious color grading as well as the benefit of having a whole movie crew out there to take advantage of all available light and hide any others deemed necessary.

Your t4i can shoot some good stuff in low light, but noise free ain't gonna happen. Once you start pushing that camera into the 1600 ISO range and beyond you're going to get noise. Plus you're dealing with h.264 compression on capture which will crush your blacks making it harder to recover information in post.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]