FORUMS: list search recent posts

battery life

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
battery life
on Oct 6, 2013 at 4:48:48 am

In video mode on 60D and 70D, how long is the video recording before the battery runs dry?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: battery life
on Oct 6, 2013 at 5:29:09 pm

Kinda depends on a couple factors:

battery age - as batteries age, they have less life.

Look at the projected life: LP-E6 is a 2600mAH charge life. Canon says you get about 1hr, 20 min continuous shooting with that battery which means the camera would pull roughly 2A at full power so more mAH will extend the life using, for example, the battery grip, but turning off the camera between shots and such will help.

Use OEM batteries - I used to get the cheap ones until they started failing on me by running solid for 10 minutes, then suddenly dropping to 0. Never had that happen on the Canon ones, though.

Keep your batteries charged - give em a full charge the night before the shoot. Rechargeable batteries sort of "leak" power over time.

Lower temps effect life, too: colder temps slow down the battery and heat can kill them, too.

Hope this helps.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Oct 6, 2013 at 11:42:44 pm

Thanks Jonathan! That's very helpful.

I find this weird. At the back of my LP-E6, it's printed "1,800mAh(Li-ion)," not 2,600mAh. This battery is original Canon and the one included in the box with the Canon 70D.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:58:34 pm

Ah, I may have been wrong on the overall life. That "mAH" (milli-Amp-Hours) represents the anticipated life of the battery in milliAmps. Basically, the higher that number, the more life you get from the battery. I gave you numbers based on Canon's estimates in the 70D manual only I thought it was a 2600mAH battery not 1800mAH which means there are suitable Canon replacement batteries that may give you more expected life (maybe up to 30% more?). Since there are so many factors involved with battery life, it's really hard to say for sure (ie: temperature, manufacturer, age of the battery, overall camera use, etc.).

Good luck! :)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]