FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conforming 30p to 24p for mild slomotion

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Steele
Conforming 30p to 24p for mild slomotion
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:06:24 am

Hi all,

I thought you could conform 30p footage to 24p and as a result you will get mild slomotion footage. Am I wrong?

I conform 60p to 24p all the time using cinema tools and get slomotion. I'm doing the same thing this time. Am I wrong is it that 50p is the frame rate you want for mild slomotion?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Conforming 30p to 24p for mild slomotion
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:11:38 pm

[Austin Steele] "I thought you could conform 30p footage to 24p and as a result you will get mild slomotion footage."

30p to 24p is going to net you a barely noticeable result. You're only talking about a 16% speed change. That's not much.

50p go 24p would be about a 50% slowdown and 60p to 24p would be slightly greater than that (about 2.5 times slower).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Austin Steele
on Oct 5, 2013 at 2:26:25 am

Thanks for this that makes sense. Next questions, where's the 50fps?! My menu only shows 24,30 or 60. How do I shoot 50fps?

If I set the camera to PAL rather than NTSC 50 becomes an option, but won't that give me some other issues when editing, etc?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 5, 2013 at 11:31:39 am

NTSC runs at either 30 or 60fps while PAL runs at 25 or 50fps. If you are shooting for NTSC based countries then at 60 and adjust your slow-motion speed as needed. If you're shooting for PAL based countries then shoot at 50fps and adjust your speed as needed. Just because you shoot at 60fps doesn't mean you have to use all 60 frames to slow down your footage. You can experiment with it to adjust your slow-mo speed. Depending on the software this could be a couple of clicks or a matter of using variations and exporting a self-contained QuickTime (or MXF) file.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]