FORUMS: list search recent posts

60D stopping during recording

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Burgess
60D stopping during recording
on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:35:49 pm

I've been using a Canon EOS 60D. Sometimes when I hit record it will record for about 4 or 5 seconds and then just stop itself. Then if I hit record again, it may work just fine. Or it may take several stops and starts before it decides to record correctly. So when I get back to the studio, I've got a lot of 4-7 second clips on my card.

I use the camera in doors, on batter and on AC, with video lights.

What could be causing this? Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Return to posts index

Johnny Wu
Re: 60D stopping during recording
on Sep 19, 2013 at 1:11:59 pm

A lot of reasons, sd card is not fast enough or corrupted, happened to me a few times when using regular class 10 cards.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 19, 2013 at 2:41:04 pm

It's probably your SD card not being able to write data fast enough to the card. The camera has an internal buffer where it'll store data as it's being written to the card. But if the card isn't fast enough, the buffer fills up. Once the buffer is full the camera terminates recording because it can't hold any more data.

Solution: buy faster SD cards. Class 10 is a minimum. But the brand also matters. Companies like Transcend, KomputerBay are "value" brands and the quality control isn't very strong. So the cards ability to read/write fluctuate wildly between cards. For my cameras for the last 5 years, I only buy Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro cards. Never had them fail on me. They always deliver the stated read/write speed they're supposed to. Downside: they will always cost more than the value brand. Always. But because I can't be messing around with cards on set, just hoping it'll record this time I pay the money for better and consistent performance.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jay Burgess
on Sep 19, 2013 at 3:10:54 pm

Thanks. That info really helps. I'll keep that in mind the next time I buy cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]