FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Folder(s) on CF Card Canon MKII 5D. 7D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Ryan
Lost Folder(s) on CF Card Canon MKII 5D. 7D
on Sep 3, 2013 at 1:52:24 pm

OK this is a partial rant because is seems like every big job we get, in this case a wedding, one of our CF cards fails totally or partially during importing (different cards each time). Missing Stills and video. Enough is enough!

Here is the scenario.
Equipment used: MKII5D, 7D, Card in question this time is a PROSPEC 23GB UDMA6 625x. Mac OSX 10.6.8

We had no problems or warning signs at the wedding that the card would fail. Day after wedding my wife imported all her CF cards with stills on her computer no problem. She looked at all the cards first to see which ones has stills or video. She imports to her computer in lightroom or bridge through the MKII 5D. She said all the disks were fine, could view Video fine.

I import the Video on my computer using a CF card reader and Image capture and go directly into a backup drive. I have 6 cf Cards of video total. All imported fine but one.

Here is a screenshot of the file system of the CF card in question. Ive had problems before with disks but ive never seen this before.
The DCIM & MISC folders are there as normal. Then in DCIM are these weird files with Zero KB. And in the 100EOS5D folder there is NADA! Ok so after i calm down a little i run Stellar Phoenix v4.1 on the CF card. BTW this software works great on cards and on burnt HD's.
After a lost file scan on the CF card it finds in a folder Root/Lost Folder(s)/Folder5.
In there is 278 files totaling to 29.8GB so 139 .MOV and 139 .THM.
YAY!!

Now my problem is that after the Stellar Phoenix recovered only about half are veiwable. For example on this screen shot you can see i highlighted MVI_0784.MOV and there is 2.78GB there of nothing. i cant open it or play it.
Go Down one file and MVI_0783.mov is 150.3 mb and plays fine. I know the Date modified looks wacky and looks like there is a pattern but some have that old date and still play.

The only software that would even accept the files is iSkySoft video converter and its just noise.
Here is what the 5D and 7D have to say about the card.

IS THERE A WAY TO SAVE THIS FOOTAGE?

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
Re: Lost Folder(s) on CF Card Canon MKII 5D. 7D
on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:43:47 pm

I have this other software CardRescue http://www.cardrescue.com/
just had the demo to see if it even found any .mov files.
It found all the .mov files so in order to finish the final step you have to purchase the software. $40.
Not much considering its a wedding and the lost footage was part of the ceremony.
Out of 139 .MOV files only 4 were not retrievable.

I will fully endorse this software. Not that i wont endorse Stellar Phoenix because that works great too.

Now that i have the footage back, does anyone have an explanation of why this happened. Just a Glitch? I cant deal with this on a regular basis.

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]