FORUMS: list search recent posts

T3i HDMI out with ML Shuttle 2 won't record no signal

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Duffey
T3i HDMI out with ML Shuttle 2 won't record no signal
on Aug 30, 2013 at 12:52:26 am

Hi all,

The subject is the truncated wording.. basically I have a T3i, Magic Lantern 2.3, HDMI out to the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. I confirmed that the T3i hdmi out feeds in to my 8" monitor just fine. It also works on a TV. When I plug it in to my Shuttle 2, no video signal shows up. I've set the T3i to 1080p24. I am using LiveView mode and when I plug the cable in to the Shuttle, the screen goes out on the T3i as expected.

Is there some setting I need to configure to get the t3i to show up as a signal to the shuttle 2? My SSDs are correct, I am able to record from my laptop source on it just fine, so that's not an issue.

Another thing, my t3i in live view turns off shortly after I start it.. can't seem to find any way to keep it on. When I run the t3i HDMI to my monitor, I see the camera output, but the T3i then shuts off the HDMI out after about 15 seconds. I'd like to make sure it doesn't shut off.

Thank you for any help.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: T3i HDMI out with ML Shuttle 2 won't record no signal
on Aug 30, 2013 at 8:50:01 pm

Sounds like an issue with the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. Can you confirm you get a signal to the Shuttle with another device? Also, try it without ML - just a regular SD card, reformat, etc. to eliminate ML as a culprit.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Kevin Duffey
on Aug 31, 2013 at 5:55:27 am

Hi,

I am able to get a 720p signal from my laptop to initially work... but then the output of the Shuttle 2 to my monitor (8" ikan) keeps flipping around for a while until it finally stabilizes. I have the latest 3.8 version for the hyperdeck too. I think my HDMI input is bad on this and naturally it's past my warranty period... as it almost always happens. I am basically holding a brick.. $350 that I didn't use and now can't use because it won't record anything. Very disappointed. Maybe it will record other formats, but the 1080i/60 doesn't turn on the video signal so I am stuck without any use for it. I am planning on purchasing the BM Cinema camera soon anyway, so hopefully this won't happen on that recorder once I get it!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:39:51 pm

I haven't seen many success stories taking a t3i and recording out via HDMI. Since the HDMI port on these cameras gets cropped significantly to 1620x1080 (3:2). The advantage of going out over the HDMI port compared to recording internally is minimal (unless you're doing green-screen work then a 4:2:2 signal is better than the internal 4:2:0). Otherwise, you won't see much difference for all your effort. So just stating that upfront.

A couple things to investigate: the Canon DSLR's have notorious problems for outputting correctly over HDMI. The t2i, t3i, t4i don't natively output 1080 as mentioned above over the HDMI port. I'm not familiar enough with ML hack on these cameras to verify that it does maintain a 1080p output. Or is it just stripping off the on-screen information but still outputting at 1620x1080? So are you sure that the signal coming out of the t3i HDMI port is in fact 1080p23.98? The best place to get help for this type of stuff is on Magic Lantern's forums. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php

The HDMI port may be bad but that's very atypical. So can the Hyperdeck ingest other cameras that you have? If you don't have another camera can you borrow someone's camera and try it out?

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Kevin Duffey
on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:19:07 pm

Hi,

I figured out that the HDMI out feeding into my monitor was 1080i60. Despite what I changed on the camera internally, it always output 1080i60.

That is one of the recording formats though for the Hyperdeck 2. So it was disappointing that it would not record it. I was able to record the output of my laptop, briefly, on the shuttle, but even that would not stay stable.

I will say though, that the camera outputs a 1080i60 but you're right in that there are black bars on the left and right, so the effective output is 1620x1080. It's not too bad though.. you can crop it down to something like 1440x960, then scale it back up to 1920x1080. Because it's uncompressed, the final 1920x1080 is still very good with no compression. Stored in DNxHD or ProRes is far better to edit with than working on AVCHD format for editing purposes. But alas, I agree. it's still not ideal.

So I am going to buy a BM Cinema Camera sometime soon and just use my t3i for pictures. I bought the Shuttle over a year ago and never got to use it, as it took me that long to be able to buy the rest of the rig, audio gear, etc. So hopefully I can get the BM camera soon and finally be able to record some good quality video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]