FORUMS: list search recent posts

SmallHD monitor blowing up 7D HDMI out port, possible?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Maloney
SmallHD monitor blowing up 7D HDMI out port, possible?
on Mar 13, 2011 at 10:31:12 am

I have a really strange problem. I attached a SmallHD DP6 monitor to my 7D, wich is working for months without any problems. Till yesterday suddenly the HDMI output of my 7D didn't work anymore. So i tried the ouput on different televisions and monitor, and nothing worked, so it's really a problem of the camera.

So we attached our backup 7D to the rig, and continued shooting, but yet again, after a half day there was no signal output from the 7D, so we tried it again on different monitors, and it also didn;t work.

We're now using our third 7D, but the problems of the monitor not working are already starting...

The really strange thing is, we have also a canon 550D body, and if we attach it with the same cable to the monitor, is works fine, and we also used the 550 to check with the other monitors if they worked and if the cable worked...no problems

So somehow is had to be a problem between the 7D and the smallHD...doe anyone have a clue wha't possible?

The smallhd and 7D are powered by a hawk woods 12v v lock converter attached to a v lock battery. Smallhd runs newest firmware, Canon 7D also. I used the exact same setup worked for months till now suddenly 3 camera in a row get their HDMI port don't work anymore, what could it be?

Return to posts index

Reed Phillips
Re: SmallHD monitor blowing up 7D HDMI out port, possible?
on Mar 13, 2011 at 11:19:35 am

Max,
I see that you submitted a support case. That is good. Our team will get back with you on Monday. I don't see all the support cases, but I have not heard of this problem. We have seen some issues when powering HDMI splitters with "some" 7Ds, but not the monitor by itself.

I assume you have restarted the cameras by removing the camera battery for a few seconds.

Do you have the latest 7D firmware? We have heard that the latest firmware fixes some power related issues. I do not have any specific details.

-reed

Reed Phillips
http://www.SmallHD.com

Return to posts index

Max Maloney
on Mar 13, 2011 at 1:53:55 pm

Hi Reed,

Thanks for your quick reply. Tried the restarting with taking the battery out etc... I have the latest camera firmware, but not sure for the bakcup bodies, i'll have a look and i'm not using a HDMI splitter or something. The really difficult thing is, i don't exactly know where the problem is, I supplied a video with my support case. I'm not sure in it's a 7D or smallhd problem. Hope your team can help monday!

Max

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 18, 2011 at 5:21:52 pm

It's possible your 7D's may be overheating. I had these issues until I updated the firmware.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite