FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plug-in for bringing in eos rebel t4i question

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Plug-in for bringing in eos rebel t4i question
on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:53:59 pm

I am on another learning curve, trying to bring in video footage fro rebel t4i. I been told I will need a plug in first before log and transfer.

I have been to the Canon site, It looks like I have to use the EOS Movie plugin-E1 for FCP. It was listed under EOS 5D Mark ll, will it work for the Rebel T4i?

It also looks like I may have to update... I have leopard and would need to update to Snow Leopard which would bring the system to 10.6 [I have 10.5.8]Under the Divers & Software the list for the plug in Mac OS x v10.6 and up.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions, guidance would be appreciated.

Best
suzin

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Plug-in for bringing in eos rebel t4i question
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:51:16 pm

You only need the FCP EOS plugin if you plan on using Log & Transfer within FCP. You'll get a mixed reaction from people depending on their experience with the plugin and FCP. For me, I had it mess up too many times to rely on it.

So to transcode the footage from h.264 .mov's to ProRes .mov's you can use Compressor, MPEG Streamclip, Red Giant Bulletproof, 5DtoRGB, etc. Essentially you need to get the footage off the camera and into something that can transcode it. FCP 6/7 doesn't play well with h.264 media (which is what all Canon DSLR's shoot). So you have to transcode that to a more FCP friendly codec like ProRes.

To be clear, you don't have to use the EOS plugin. If you prefer to stay within FCP for everything you are more than welcomed to. No problems there. But you can pull the .MOV files off the SD card and transcode them in a variety of products for use within FCP.

Does that make sense? Holler if you need some help...

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
Re: Plug-in for bringing in eos rebel t4i question
on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:54:10 pm

Ryan,

You have been very helpful and I really appreciate the recommendations and support. Taking the time out of, what is probably a busy day, I want you to know you are appreciated. And I wish you lived next door to me.

I do have MPEG Streamclip and actually know how to use it, amazing!

I am over my panic and you have mentioned some sources that will do the job. I am sure as I investigate further will find more.

Thanks again for your guidance. I just need to stop fearing technology!

Best
Sz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]